Údarás na Gaeltachta
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2020)
|Headquarters||Furbo, County Galway, Ireland|
Údarás na Gaeltachta (Irish pronunciation: [uːd̪ˠəɾˠaːs nə ˈɡeːl̪ˠt̪ˠəxt̪ˠə]) meaning "Gaeltacht Authority" (abbreviated UnaG) is a regional state agency which is responsible for the economic, social and cultural development of Irish-speaking (Gaeltacht) regions of Ireland. Its stated purpose is to strengthen the Gaeltacht communities, to increase the quality of life of its community members and facilitate the preservation and extension of the Irish language as the principal language of the region. It gives funding to small local businesses that have to compete with foreign companies.
It was originally established in 1980 under the Údarás na Gaeltachta Act, 1979, superseding its predecessor Gaeltarra Éireann which had been established in 1957 under the Gaeltacht Industries Act of the same year.
It has a strong role in attracting enterprise into Gaeltacht areas, many of which are isolated and economically disadvantaged. The European Union grant-aid is often provided to indigenous startup companies. They are also involved in the setting up of community co-operatives and employment schemes.
Údarás na Gaeltachta has a 12-member board. In accordance with the Údarás na Gaeltachta Act, 1979, as amended by the Gaeltacht Act 2012, the Minister with responsibility for the Gaeltacht appoints the board members for a period not exceeding five years, five of these on the nomination of county councils from counties which include Gaeltacht areas.
The head office of Údarás na Gaeltachta is in Furbo, County Galway, with regional offices in Derrybeg, County Donegal, Belmullet County Mayo, Dingle, County Kerry and Ballymakeera, County Cork. The current chairperson is Anna Ní Ghallachair from Arranmore, County Donegal.
From 1979 to 2012, some members of the board were elected by popular vote of Gaeltacht residents. These single transferable vote constituencies were as follows:
- Coiste Cearta Síbialta na Gaeilge
- IDA Ireland
- Gaeltacht Act 2012
- Bailte Seirbhísí Gaeltachta
- Líonraí Gaeilge
- Amharclann Ghaoth Dobhair
- Irish language
- Murphy, William (2014). 21st Century Business Revised Edition. Ground Floor - Block B, Liffey Valley Office Campus, Dublin 22: CJ Fallon. p. 508. ISBN 978-0-7144-1923-7.CS1 maint: location (link)
- http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1979/en/act/pub/0005/index.html[bare URL]
- "Údarás na Gaeltachta Act 1979, secs 6(2) and 29". electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB). Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Údarás na Gaeltachta (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1999, secs 3 and 15". electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB). Retrieved 30 March 2019.