Ürümqi Diwopu International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
ئۈرۈمچى دىئوپا خەلقئارا ئايروپورتى
Wūlǔmùqí Dìwōpù Guójì Jīcháng
|IATA: URC – ICAO: ZWWW|
|Operator||Xinjiang Airport Group Co. Ltd.|
|Serves||Ürümqi, Xinjiang, China|
|Elevation AMSL||648 m / 2,126 ft|
Ürümqi Diwopu International Airport (simplified Chinese: 乌鲁木齐地窝堡国际机场; traditional Chinese: 烏魯木齊地窩堡國際機場; Uyghur: ئۈرۈمچى دىئوپا خەلقئارا ئايروپورتى) (IATA: URC, ICAO: ZWWW) is an airport serving Ürümqi, the capital of the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region in northwestern China. The airport is located in Diwopu township of Xinshi district, 16 km (10 mi) northwest of downtown Ürümqi. A hub for China Southern Airlines and as a focus city for Hainan Airlines, the airport handled 16,311,140 passengers in 2014, making it the 15th busiest airport in China by passenger traffic.
Ürümqi Airport was opened to foreign passengers in 1973, and has been the emergency landing ground for airlines to Europe and west Asia.
The airport covers an area of 4.84 million sq. metres. Its newly built runway is 3600 m (11,811 ft) in length. The airport can allow the landing of large aircraft such as the Boeing 747. The 110,000 sq. metre apron can accommodate over 30 aircraft.
Construction of Terminal 3 to the west of the older terminal building began in April 2007 at a cost of 2.8 billion yuan (350 million U.S. dollars). It increased Diwopu's ability to handle more than three times its current (2007) 5.13 million passengers annually to 16.35 million passengers and also be able to handle 275,000 tons of cargo and 155,000 aircraft a year. Terminal 3 also added an additional 21 jet bridges and nearly 106,000 square meters of new terminal space. The terminal opened in 2009.
Airlines and destinations
|Silk Way Airlines||Baku|
- Airport information for ZWWW from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for URC at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "People's Daily Online – Urumqi airport expansion to triple passenger capacity". english.peopledaily.com.cn. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Air Arabia enters China - Air Arabia". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Air Kyrgyzstan открывает рейс Ош – Урумчи – Ош". Авиакомпания Кыргызстан. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "ARIANA Afghan Airlines Adds Urumqi Operation from late-March 2015". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Asian airlines to open new routes to China in June – ANN". asianewsnet.net. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Shandong Airlines Adds New Osaka Service from July 2015". Airlineroute.net. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Timetable". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Uzbekistan Airways launches second weekly operation on the route Tashkent – Urumqi". uzairways.com. Uzairways. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 1–7 April 1998. 57. "Diwopu International Airport, Urumqi, 830016, Xinjiang, China."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ürümqi Diwopu International Airport.|
- Official web site
- Current weather for Urum-Qi / Diwopu, China (ZWWW) at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for URC / ZWWW at Aviation Safety Network
- China: Terror plot targeted Olympics MSNBC 9 March 2008