This article does not cite any sources. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Čukarička Padina is located between the neighborhoods of Čukarica to the east, and Makiš to the west. Actually, it is the westernmost part of the Banovo Brdo neighborhood, a strip of land on the slopes of the hill alongside the Savska magistrala road, overlooking the Sava river and Ada Ciganlija, thus the descriptive name, Čukarička Padina, which in Serbian means slope of Čukarica. It had a population of 9,296 in 2011.
The bank of the Sava river where the modern neighborhood is, was a starting point of the raft ferry line which connected two sides of the river. The merchants dug lagums, underground rooms and corridors into the rock slope and used them as a storage areas. The lagums still exist, but the entrances are buried.
In time, a shanty town developed in the woods across the New Obrenovac motorway. An informal settlement, it is inhabited by the Romanies who work as a waste pickers and mostly use fire to extract the valuable materials from the garbage. Since the early 2010s, as the settlement grew, a large, thick clouds of smoke and bad smell from the burning garbage began cloaking urbanized section of the settlement almost on a daily basis. Frequent gatherings and public protests of the citizens and limited communal efforts to clean, adapt and sanitize the forested area around the shanty town failed to solve the problem despite that fact that the activities which cause it are illegal. Municipality of Čukarica promised it will relocate the informal settlers and build a recycling center which will bring the activities of the settlers into the legal flows. As of March 2018, the shanty town had some 80 houses.
Čukarička Padina is connected with other parts of the city by public transport:
- No. 55: Zvezdara - Stari Železnik;
- No. 56: Zeleni Venac - Petlovo Brdo;
- No. 56L: Zeleni Venac - Čukarička Padina;
- No. 87: Čukarička Padina - Banovo Brdo;
- No. 89: Vidikovac - Novi Beograd (Blok 61);
- No. 581: Beograd (Lastina stanica) - Lazarevac AS;
- No. 581A: Beograd (Lastina stanica) - Lazarevac (Dom zdravlja);
- No. 511: Trg Republike - Sremčica
- Aleksandra Kurteš (17 September 2018). "Тајне подземља Чукарице" [Secrets of Čukarica's underground]. Politika (in Serbian).
- Ana Vuković (19 March 2018). "Stanari Čukaričke padine još strahuju za zdravlje" [Inhabitants of Čukarička Padina still fear for their health]. Politika (in Serbian). p. 14.
- Osnovni skupovi stanovništva u zemlji – SFRJ, SR i SAP, opštine i mesne zajednice 31.03.1981, tabela 191. Savezni zavod za statistiku (txt file). 1983.
- Stanovništvo prema migracionim obeležjima – SFRJ, SR i SAP, opštine i mesne zajednice 31.03.1991, tabela 018. Savezni zavod za statistiku (txt file).
- Popis stanovništva po mesnim zajednicama, Saopštenje 40/2002, page 4. Zavod za informatiku i statistiku grada Beograda. 26 July 2002.
- Stanovništvo po opštinama i mesnim zajednicama, Popis 2011. Grad Beograd – Sektor statistike (xls file). 23 April 2015.
|This Belgrade District, Serbia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|