|• Body||İlçe (district)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
İlkadım is within the city of Samsun at Atatürk's arrival in Samsun (via sea) in order to start the Turkish War of Independence on 19 May 1919. (İlkadım means first step).The population of İlkadım is 307,746 as of 2009  It constitutes % 59 of the population of Greater Samsun which is 519,611 .. It includes the port of the Samsun and the name İlkadım refers to
The excavations carried on the höyük of Dündartepe revealed a settlement of Chalcolithic age. During early Hellenistic age there was a colony named Amisos (in Greek Αμισός) founded by the colonialists from Miletus . It was captured by Julius Caesar of Roman Empire in 43 BC . After 1071, it was captured by Danishmends and Seljuks. In 1413 was incorporated into Ottoman Empire by Mehmet I.
İlkadım is actually a part of the city of Greater Samsun. In 1994 it was declared a municipality within the city borders of greater Samsun and the corresponding district governorate is established in 2008.
There are 11 villages in the rural area of İlkadım. The total population of the district is (urban and rural) 315,089 
Government and Politics
The mayor is Necattin Demirtaş (MHP).
- Statue of Honor, the landmark of Samsun
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- Statistical Institute page
- The mayor's page (Turkish)