The İslâm Ansiklopedisi (İA) is a Turkish academic encyclopedia for Islamic studies. Its most recent 44-volume edition, called Türkiye Diyanet Vakfı İslâm Ansiklopedisi (DİA), was completed between 1988 and 2013.
Initially, the İA was proposed to be a translation of the first Encyclopaedia of Islam (EI1, 1913–1938) into the Turkish language because the EI1 had only been introduced in English, French and German. However, while preparing the İslâm Ansiklopedisi many articles of the EI1 have been revised, expanded and v corrected. The result was that the İslâm Ansiklopedisi became a work consisting of 15 volumes instead of the originally proposed five. Some articles of the İA have been in turn included into the second Encyclopaedia of Islam (EI2, 1960–2007), and EI2 articles refer to many articles of the İA. Since 1988, a new İslâm Ansiklopedisi has been in preparation, the Türkiye Diyanet Vakfı İslâm Ansiklopedisi (DİA), which is a completely original work. DİA was completed in 44 volumes in December 2013. Two additional (supplement) volumes are being prepared. The scientific quality of the encyclopedia is recognized by turkologists and Turkish-speaking scholars of Islamic studies.
De facto standard for Ottoman Turkish transliteration
The transliteration system of the İslâm Ansiklopedisi has become a de facto standard in Oriental studies for the transliteration of Ottoman Turkish texts. For phonetic transcription the New Redhouse, Karl Steuerwald and Ferit Develioğlu dictionaries have become standard. Another transliteration system is that of the Deutsche Morgenländische Gesellschaft (DMG), which handles any Turkic language written in the Arabic script. There are few differences between the İA and the DMG transliteration systems.
|ʾ / ā||b||p||t||s||c||ç||ḥ||ḫ||d||ẕ||r||z||j||s||ş||ṣ||ż||ṭ||ẓ||ʿ||ġ||f||ḳ||k,g,ñ,ğ||g||ñ||l||m||n||v||h||y|
The volumes of the first edition
- Vol. 1: Ab – Atatürk
- Vol. 2: ʿAtbara – Büzürgümmîd
- Vol. 3: Cabala – Dvin
- Vol. 4: Eb – Gwalior
- Vol. 5 / 1: Hâ – Hüzeyl
- Vol. 5 / 2: Inal – İzzüddevle
- Vol. 6: Kâʾân – Kvatta
- Vol. 7: Labbay – Mesânî
- Vol. 8: Mescid – Mzâb
- Vol. 9: Nabaʾ – Rüzzîk
- Vol. 10: Sâ – Sufrûy
- Vol. 11: Sugd – Tarika
- Vol. 12 / 1: Tarîkat – Tuğrâ
- Vol. 12 / 2: Tuğ – Türsiz
- Vol. 13: Ubayd Allâh – Züsserâ
- Aptin Khanbaghi Encyclopedias about Muslim civilisations, Abschnitt İslam Ansiklopedisi: İslam Alemi Tarih, Coğrafya, Etnografya ve Biyografya Lugati, p. 285
- Bauden, Frédéric. Review of Encyclopaedia Islamica, volume 1 (A-Abū Ḥanīfa), éd. Farhad Daftary et Wilferd Madelung. Moyen Age (Le). CXIX(2), pp. 465-466 (In French)
- Korkut Buğday Osmanisch, p. 2
- Korkut Buğday Osmanisch, p. 13
- Transkriptionskommission der DMG Die Transliteration der arabischen Schrift in ihrer Anwendung auf die Hauptliteratursprachen der islamischen Welt, p. 9
- Korkut Buğday Osmanisch, p. 2f.
- Aptin Khanbaghi Encyclopedias about Muslim civilisations, chapter İslam Ansiklopedisi: İslam Alemi Tarih, Coğrafya, Etnografya ve Biyografya Lugati, p. 285 Online