Lake İznik from space.
|Location||İznik, Bursa Province, Turkey|
|Established||April 14, 2012|
İznik Ultramarathon, shortly İznik Ultra, is an international trail running ultramarathon event that takes place at İznik town of Bursa Province in northwestern Turkey. It was established in 2012 with the first race held on April 14-15. Lasting two days, the race is Turkey's longest single stage athletic event.
The course is a loop around the Lake Iznik with a distance of 133 km (83 mi) and a total elevation gain of 2,248 m (7,375 ft). İznik Ultra consists of the part races as the 80k "Orhangazi Ultra", the 42k "İznik Mountain Marathon" and additionally a city fun run "İznik 10k". The winners are bestowed with medals specially made out of İznik pottery, which made the town famous in the Ottoman Empire era.
Lake İznik is located northeast of Bursa, and the historic city of İznik (formerly Nicaea) is situated at the eastern shore of the lake. The trail running race starts at the square in front of Hagia Sofia Museum (Turkish: İznik Ayasofya Camii) in the town center, and leaves İznik on its south through Yenişehir Gate (Turkish: Yenişehir Kapısı). Running on state and country roads between villages as control points, the route continues along the mountainous southern coast of İznik Lake, gaining elevation before and after Derbent at 13 km (8.1 mi). It descends towards Narlıca at 41 km (25 mi), ascends and descends once again before Solöz at 60 km (37 mi). The route after Solöz until the finish line is almost flat with an elevation difference not exceeding about 100 m (330 ft). Örnekköy village is the westernmost point of the route at 75 km (47 mi). From there on, the route follows north of the lake. After the villages Ilıca at 95 km (59 mi), Boyalica at 103 km (64 mi) and Dikilitaş at 120 km (75 mi), it arrives in İznik at the same place it had started, passing through İstanbul Gate (İstanbul Kapı) in the north of the town. Qualification time is limited by 25 hours. İznik Ultra is accredited for giving three points to the North Face Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc.
Orhangazi Ultra is the 80 km (50 mi) part of İznik Ultra that ends in Örnekköy with an elevation gain of 1,850 m (6,070 ft). Time limit is 13 hours. The event gives two points to the North Face Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc.
İznik Mountain Marathon
İznik Mountain Marathon is the 42 km (26 mi) part of İznik Ultra that ends in Narlıca with an elevation gain of 1,050 m (3,440 ft). Time limit is 8 hours.
İznik 10k is a (10 km (6.2 mi) fun run held in the town and partly along the lake shore on the second day of the İznik Ultra event. The race starts in the square before the Hagia Sofia Museum, runs in the city streets and along the historic city walls. After continuing along the lake shore, the route enters the city again and ends in the town square. The major part of the route is paved with asphalt or cobblestone while only 10% of it is unpaved as dirt road or gravel road.
Key: Course record
|Year||Distance||Men's winner||Time (h:m:s)||Women's winner||Time (h:m:s)|
|2012||126k||Mahmut Yavuz||15:41:03||Elena Polyakova||18:51:27|
|60k||Ian Corless||6:01:35||Tuğba Merve Çavdar||7:24:45|
|10k||Sefa Yaman||0:37:08||Zühal Tümay||0:50:26|
|2013||130k||Mahmut Yavuz||13:52:06||Elena Polyakova||15:00:40|
|80k||Tanzer Dursun||8:13:54||Amy Sproston||7:12:51|
|42k Mountain||Akın Yeniçeli||3:39:15||Şengül Üzen||4:31:13|
|10k||Akın Yeniçeli||0:35:01||Eileen Aydınlar||0:46:29|
|2014||130k||Marcus Scotney||12:53:59||Bakiye Duran||19:09:39|
|80k||Aykut Çelikbaş||7:41:34||Jo Meek||6:52:17|
|42k Mountain||Robbie Britton||3:08:19||Elena Polyakova||3:47:26|
|10k||Robbie Britton||0:34:28||Tracy Dean||0:43:17|
- "İznik Ultra Maratonu 14-15 Nisan'da". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "İznik'te maraton heyecanı başladı". Sabah (in Turkish). 2012-04-14. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "İznik Ultra Maratonu 130K" (in Turkish). İznik Ultra. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "İznik Ultra Maratonu Nefes Kesti". Radikal (in Turkish). 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "İznik Ultra Maratonu Start Aldı". İznik (in Turkish). 2013-04-19. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Program Akışı" (in Turkish). İznik Ultra. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Orhangazi Ultra Maratonu 80K" (in Turkish). İznik Ultra. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "İznik Dağ Maratonu 42K" (in Turkish). İznik Ultra. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "İznik 10K Koşusu" (in Turkish). İznik Ultra. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Iznik Halk Kosusu 2013". MCR Race Setter. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Iznik Ultra Maratonu 2014". Plus Timing. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "Iznik Halk Kosusu 2014". Plus Timing. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- Mock, Justin (2012-04-23). "Amy Sproston Leads US Women to Gold at 100k World Championship". Running Times. Retrieved 2013-11-27.