Night view of Kamata, Ōta
Location of Ōta in Tokyo Metropolis
|• Mayor||Tadayoshi Matsubara (since April 2007)|
|• Total||59.46 km2 (22.96 sq mi)|
|Population (June 1, 2016)|
|• Density||12,048.65/km2 (31,205.9/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Cinnamomum camphora|
|• Flower||Prunus mume|
|• Bird||Cettia diphone|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|City hall address||5-13-14 Kamata
As of June 1, 2016, the ward has an estimated population of 716,413, with 379,199 households and a population density of 12,048.65 persons per km². The total area is 59.46 km², the largest of the 23 special wards.
- 1 History
- 2 Politics and government
- 3 Geography
- 4 Landmarks
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Economy
- 7 Education
- 8 Sister cities
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Haneda Airport (HND), now the main domestic airport for the Greater Tokyo Area, was first established as Haneda Airfield in 1931 in the town of Haneda, Ebara District of Tokyo Prefecture. In 1945, it became Haneda Army Air Base under the control of the United States Army. In the same year, the Occupation ordered the expansion of the airport, evicting people from the surroundings on 48 hours' notice. With the end of the occupation, the Americans returned part of the facility to Japanese control in 1952, completing the return in 1958. Haneda Airport in Ōta was the major international airport for Tokyo, and handled traffic for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
Politics and government
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2017)
The city is run by a city assembly of 50 elected members. The current mayor is Tadayoshi Matsubara.
The southernmost of the 23 special wards, Ōta borders the special wards of Shinagawa, Meguro and Setagaya to the north, and Kōtō to the east. Across the Tama River in Kanagawa Prefecture is the city of Kawasaki, forming the boundaries to the south and west.
- Ikegami Honmon-ji, a Buddhist temple of the Nichiren Shū.
- Ōmori Shell Mound site
- Senzoku Pond, where Nichiren is said to have washed his feet. The grave of Katsu Kaishū is nearby.
- Tamagawadai Park
- JR East Keihin-Tōhoku Line: Ōmori, Kamata Stations
- Tokyu Corporation
- Tokyo Monorail: Ryutsu Center, Showajima, Seibijo, Tenkubashi, Shin Seibijo, Haneda Kuko Dai 1 Biru, Haneda Kuko Dai 2 Biru Stations
- Toei Asakusa Line: Magome, Nishi-Magome Stations
- Shuto Expressway
- No. 1 Haneda Route (Edobashi JCT - Iriya)
- B Bayshore Route (Namiki - Kawasaki-ukishima JCT)
- National highways
The following companies have their headquarters in Ōta.
- ANA Wings (subsidiary of All Nippon Airways, has its corporate head office on property of Tokyo International Airport)
- Alps Electric
- Disco Corporation, manufacturer of semiconductor production equipment
- Ikegami Tsushinki, manufacturer of broadcast equipment
- Skymark Airlines, at Tokyo International Airport
- Toyoko Inn, in the Kamata district of Ōta
In 2000 All Nippon Airways was headquartered by Tokyo International Airport in Ōta. In 2002 Air Nippon was headquartered on the 5th floor of the Utility Center Building (ユーティリティセンタービル Yūtiriti Sentā Biru) by Tokyo International Airport in Ōta. The ANA subsidiary Air Nippon Network was also based at the airport.
Colleges and universities
- Aeronautical Safety College
- Toho University Omori Campus
- Tokyo Institute of Technology: the Ōokayama Campus straddles the boundary with Meguro
The following public high schools are located in Ōta, operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education.
- Den Enchofu High School
- Kamata High School
- Mihara High School
- Omori High School
- Ota Shingaku High School
- Rokugoh Technical High School
- Tsubasa High School
- Yukigaya High School
Elementary and junior high schools
Public elementary and junior high schools are operated by Ōta Ward.
The city operates several libraries, including:
- Ota Library (the main library)
- Hamatake Library
- Haneda Library
- Ikegami Library
- Kamata Library
- Kamata Ekimae Library
- Kugahara Library
- Magome Library
- Omori East Library
- Omori South Library
- Omori West Library
- Rokugo Library
- Senzokuike Library
- Shimomaruko Library
- Tamagawa Library
Ōta has a sister city relationship with Salem, Massachusetts. The discovery of a shell mound in Ōmori, one of the forerunners of Ōta, by Edward S. Morse, director of the museum in Salem, occasioned the tie. Ōta has a friendship link with Chaoyang District, Beijing, China.
- "会社概要." ANA Wings. Retrieved on March 27, 2015. "本社所在地 〒144-8515 東京都大田区羽田空港3-3-2"
- "Company Info:Network." Alps Electric Corporation. Retrieved on July 28, 2014.
- "Corporate Profile." Canon. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "Corporate Outline." Disco Corporation. Retrieved on September 23, 2017.
- "Corporate Data." Ebara. Retrieved on July 28, 2014.
- "Company Profile:Office locations." Ikegami. Retrieved on July 28, 2014.
- "Corporate." Sega. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "About Us." Skymark Airlines. Retrieved on May 7, 2009.
- "Company Profile." Toyoko Inn. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "Company History." Toyoko Inn. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "A tale of many tails: the merger of Japan Airlines and Japan Air System makes perfect business sense, but commonality of equipment is a different matter." Air Transport World. April 1, 2003. Retrieved on May 19, 2009.
- "COMPANY INFORMATION." Japan Air System. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "Corporate Information." All Nippon Airways. April 8, 2000. Retrieved on May 19, 2009.
- "会社案内." Air Nippon. February 7, 2002. Retrieved on May 20, 2009.
- "会社概要" (Archive). Air Nippon Network. Retrieved on May 20, 2009. "本社所在地 東京都大田区羽田空港3-3-2"
- "Head Office & Regional Office Information." Galaxy Airlines. Retrieved on May 20, 2009.
- "ウリハッキョ一覧" (Archive). Chongryon. Retrieved on October 14, 2015.
- "Deutscher Bundestag 4. Wahlperiode Drucksache IV/3672" (Archive). Bundestag (West Germany). 23 June 1965. Retrieved on 12 March 2016. p. 35/51. "Deutsche Schule Tokyo 1847 2-chome, Sanno Ota-ku"
- "Libraries." City of Ota. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Ota.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ōta, Tokyo.|