|Valide Sultan of the Ottoman Empire|
|Tenure||13 December 1754 – 16 April 1756|
|Died||16 April 1756 (aged 73–74)|
Constantinople, Ottoman Empire
|Burial||27 April 1756|
Nuruosmaniye Mosque, Istanbul
|Religion||Islam, previously Orthodox Christian|
Şehsuvar Sultan (1682 – 16 April 1756) was the consort (kadinefendi) to the Ottoman Sultan Mustafa II (r. 1695–1703) and Valide Sultan to their son Osman III (r. 1754–1757). Her resting place is located inside the Nuruosmaniye Mosque in Istanbul.
A Serb noblewoman, her given name was Maria (Turkish: Mari).[self-published source][unreliable source][unreliable source] She was born in 1682. She became the second concubine of Sultan Mustafa II (r. 1695–1703), after first concubine Saliha Sultan (born Elisaveta, a Greek), who was the mother of Mahmud I (r. 1730-1754). The women of the Ottoman sultan lived in the Imperial Harem, one of the most important elements of the Ottoman court. According to Ottoman tradition, she was given a Persian name. Şehsuvar and Mustafa II had one son, Osman III, born on January 2, 1699.
The Edirne event saw Mustafa II dethroned, with his brother Ahmed III succeeding as the new Sultan (r. 1703–1730). Mahmud I, Mustafa II's first son and the older half-brother of Osman III, succeeded as Sultan following Patrona Halil's orchestrated riot. Mahmud I was then succeeded by his half-brother Osman III, thus Şehsuvar became the new Valide sultan.
She died on 16 April and was buried in the Nuruosmaniye Mosque, located in the Çemberlitaş neighbourhood of Fatih district in Istanbul, on 27 April 1756. The mosque had been finished during the rule of Osman III, who buried his mother (Şehsuvar) in a separate türbe (tomb).[page needed]
- Meram 1977, p. 355, "İkinci Mustafa'nın (Şehsuvar Sultan) takma adlı câriyesi Sırp kızı Mari'den doğan oğlu Üçüncü Osman", İnal & Arşivi 2005, p. 27, "Osman'in annesi Sirp Mari yani §ehsiivar Sultan"
- Osman Gazi'den Sultan Vahidüddin Han'a Osmanlı tarihi, Volume 4. Çamlıca Basım Yayın.
ŞEHSUVAR VALİDE SULTAN (1682-27 Receb 1169/27 Nisan 1756)
- Meram 1977, p. 347, "İkinci Mustafa'nın (Saliha Sultan) takma adlı cariyesi Rum kızı Aleksandra'dan doğan oğlu Birinci Mâhmut".
- Meram 1977, p. 361, "Pâdişah anası Vâlide Şehsuvar Sultan (Mari), her iki gelinine, Osmanlı geleneğince birer Arapça ad koydu.".
- Osmanlı padişahları ve Musevi tebalarına ilişkin kısa tarihçe. 1999. p. 136.
Anası: Şehsuvar Valide Sultan Doğum Tarihi: 2 Ocak 1699 Ölüm Tarihi: 30 Ekim 1757 Born: January 2nd 1699 Deceased: October 30th 1757
- Shaw, Stanford J. & Shaw, Ezel Kural (1976). History of the Ottoman Empire and Modern Turkey, volume 1: Empire of the Gazis: the rise and decline of the Ottoman Empire, 1280-1808. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. p. 240. ISBN 0-521-21280-4.
- John Freely (1996). Istanbul: the imperial city. p. 255.
- Dünden bugüne İstanbul ansiklopedisi. 1994. p. 156.
16 Nisan 1756'da Şehsuvar Valide Sultan öldü.
- The garden of the mosques: Hafiz Hüseyin al-Ayvansarayī's guide to the Muslim monuments of Ottoman Istanbul.
- İnal, Günseli; Arşivi, Semiramis (2005). Semiramis: Sultan'ın gözünden şenlik. YKY. ISBN 978-975-08-0928-6.[unreliable source]
- Meram, Ali Kemal (1977). Padişah anaları: resimli belgesel tarih romanı. Öz Yayınları.[unreliable source]
| Valide Sultan
13 December 1754 – April 1756