Šaulić performing in 2016
|Died||17 February 2019 (aged 67)|
Šaban Šaulić (Serbian Cyrillic: Шабан Шаулић; 6 September 1951 – 17 February 2019) was a Serbian-born folk singer.
Renowned for his refined baritone vocals and performances characterised by emotional intensity and crowd interaction, his career spanning over five decades has enjoyed both critical and commercial success. He is referred to as the "King of Folk Music" ("kralj narodne muzike").
Šaban Šaulić was born on 6 September 1951 in Šabac, PR Serbia, FPR Yugoslavia to Huso and Ilduza (née Demirović). His mother Ilduza is originally from Bijeljina, Bosnia and Herzegovina where he would spent a quite amount of time while growing up with his family in Bijeljina. Saban has a sister, Sarajka and a half sister from his father’s previous relationship. Šaulić primarily in the care of his older sister, Sarajka.
Šaulić initially showed interest and affinity for football. It was his uncle Alija, however, who first noticed that his nephew's true talent lay in music. In the mid-1960s, Alija asked his nephew to sing at their local kafana, which was to mark the start of Šaulić's five decade long musical career. Šaban Šaulić was of Bosniak descent. 
In 1969, at the age of 18, Šaulić recorded his first single Dajte mi utjehu ("Give me Solace"). The song became an instant hit and led Šaulić to make the move to Belgrade, Serbia so that he could continue working on what was promising to be a successful career. By the mid-70s, Šaulić had become a household name and his songs were much requested in kafane.
Šaulić was also a judge on the televised singing competition Zvezde Granda between 2013 and 2016, and the televised singing competition "Pinkove zvezde" in 2016-2017 season.
In 1974, Šaulić married his wife, Gordana (b. 1958). The pair briefly separated in 1985; during this period, Šaulić wrote and dedicated the song "Gordana" to her. Šaulić and his wife reconciled after just 20 days. Together, they had three children; a son, Mihajlo, and two daughters, Sanela and Ilda. Ilda is also a singer.
Prior to his marriage to Gordana, Šaulić had a son out of wedlock, named Robert. He acknowledged him and provided financial support until Robert turned 18.
Šaulić's father died unexpectedly during Šaban's concert tour of Australia. He was not able to attend his father's funeral which was held the very next day. Šaulić would often express how he would never be able to come to terms with the fact that he was not in attendance.
In the early hours of 17 February 2019, Šaulić was being driven to the airport on his way home as he had held a concert the night before in Bielefeld, Germany. His best man, Boban Stojadinović, was a fellow passenger in the car. His keyboardist, Mirsad Kerić, who had accompanied him to the concert, was driving.
At approximately 06:50 am, on the Bundesautobahn 2 between Bielefeld and Gütersloh, a drunk and unlicensed driver violently collided with the SEAT Ibiza that Šaulić was travelling in. This caused serious injuries to all passengers. All three were rushed to the hospital, where Šaulić and Kerić were later pronounced dead.
The news of Šaulić's death was met with widespread shock and sorrow from his colleagues and fans. He was buried on 22 February 2019 in the Alley of Distinguished Citizens at the Belgrade New Cemetery.
- Dajte mi utjehu (1969)
- Bio sam pijanac (1972)
- Tužno vetri gorom viju (1974)
- Ne pitaj me kako mi je druže (1975)
- Gore pisma svedoci ljubavi (1976)
- Dođi da ostarimo zajedno (1978)
- Dva galeba bela (1979)
- Ponovo smo na početku sreće (1980)
- Meni je s tobom sreća obećana (1981)
- Tebi ne mogu da kažem ne (1984)
- Kafanska noć (1985)
- Kad bi čaša znala (1986)
- Biseri Narodne Muzike (1986)
- Kralj boema / Verujem u ljubav (1987)
- Samo za nju (1988)
- Ljubav je velika tajna (1988)
- Ljubav je pesma i mnogo više (1989)
- Pomozi mi, druže, pomozi mi, brate (1990)
- Anđeoska vrata (1992)
- Ljubavna drama (1994)
- Volim da volim (1995)
- Tebi koja si otišla (1996)
- Od srca (1996)
- Ljubav je slatka robija (1997)
- Tebe da zaboravim (1998)
- Za novi milenijum (1999)
- Nema ništa, majko, od tvoga veselja (2001)
- Kralj i sluga (2002)
- Šadrvani (2003)
- Album 2004 (hitovi + 2 nove pjesme: "Postelja" i "Sa njom sve") (2004)
- Telo uz telo (2005)
- Bogati siromah (2006)
- Milicu Stojan voleo (2008)
- Najlepše pesme
- "Bila je polupismena, dobila orden u ratu, a kad zapeva - KOMŠILUK ZANEMI: Šaban je od majke nasledio pevački talenat ali i ovaj VELIKI KVALITET". zena.blic.rs (in Serbian). 22 February 2019.
- "'Pjevao sam i plakao jer morao sam nastupati, a otac mi umro'". 24sata.hr (in Croatian). 23 February 2019.
- Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMVtFH3lVBo&t=1485s. Retrieved 27 February 2020. Missing or empty
- "ŠABAN JE S PONOSOM GOVORIO O SVOM PORIJEKLU: Sin oca HUSE i majke ILDE, najviše je bio vezan za sestru SARAJKU, rođen u ulici Avde Karabegovića..." slobodna-bosna.ba (in Bosnian).
- "Šaban Šaulić otvoreno: Pevao sam i plakao dok su mi sahranjivali oca!". alo.rs (in Serbian). 15 April 2014.
- "ZBOGOM, LEGENDO! Bivši bokser Mačve Alija uveo je svog bratanca fudbalera, teškog pušača od 10 godine, u kafanu i naredio mu da peva! Sve o ŠABANOVOJ PRVOJ I POSLEDNJOJ PESMI". kurir.rs (in Serbian). 18 February 2019.
- "Šaban i Gordana Šaulić: Intimna luka u centru velegrada". Story. 29 November 2011. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Žena Šabana Šaulića otvorila kafić". Novosti. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Šaban otkrio zašto ga je Goca ostavila".
- "Ilda Šaulić". Puls. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Mlada čeka, a ja mladoženji pucam penale". Blic. 23 October 2011. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Volio bih da Ilda i Mihajlo imaju porodice i po troje djece". Express. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Podržavam izbore svoje dece". Story. 31 October 2011. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Vanbračni sin Šabana Šaulića". Kurir. 7 March 2017. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Pevao sam i plakao na bini dok su mi oca sahranjivali!". Telegraf. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "PIJANI VOZAČ BEZ DOZVOLE DIVLJAČKI SE ZAKUCAO U ŠABANA: Ovo je zvaničan izveštaj nemačke policije! Šaulić sedeo na mestu suvozača! NIJE MU BILO SPASA!". kurir.rs (in Serbian). 17 February 2019.
- "CEO REGION U SUZAMA! OPRAŠTAJU SE OD LEGENDE NARODNE MUZIKE: Potresne poruke na društvenim mrežama lome srca". kurir.rs (in Serbian). 19 February 2019.
- "SAHRANjEN ŠABAN ŠAULIĆ: Sanduk spuštali uz pesmu "Ne plači dušo", Gordana jedva stajala na nogama". novosti.rs (in Serbian). 22 February 2019.
- Serbia, RTS, Radio televizija Srbije, Radio Television of. "Uručena odlikovanja povodom Dana državnosti". www.rts.rs. Retrieved 15 February 2020.