Šmarje pri Jelšah
|Šmarje pri Jelšah
Občina Šmarje pri Jelšah
|Town and Municipality|
View of Šmarje pri Jelšah from St. Roch's Church
Location of the Municipality of Šmarje pri Jelšah in Slovenia
|• Mayor||Jožef Čakš|
|• Total||107.7 km2 (41.6 sq mi)|
|• Density||90/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02)|
Šmarje pri Jelšah is a town and a municipality in eastern Slovenia. The area was part of the traditional region of Lower Styria. The municipality is now included in the Savinja Statistical Region. The development of the settlement is associated with a medieval mansion known as Jelšingrad on a slight hill northwest of the town.
The local parish church is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary (Slovene: Sveta Marija Vnebovzeta) and belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Maribor. It dates to the late 13th century with 18th- and 19th-century additions.
The best-known landmark near the town is the Saint Roch's Church in the settlement of Predenca south of the town and the series of chapels representing Calvary and the Stations of the Cross on the path leading up to the church from the town.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia, census of 2002
- Šmarje pri Jelšah municipal site
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 4632
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 3407
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 10049
- Media related to Šmarje pri Jelšah at Wikimedia Commons