Satellite image of Žirje
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Žirje (pronounced [ʒîːrjɛ]; Italian: Zuri; Latin: Zurium/Surium) is an island and a settlement in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea. It is situated in the Šibenik archipelago, about 22 kilometres (14 miles) southwest of Šibenik, which makes it the most remote permanently inhabited island in the Šibenik archipelago. Its area is 15.08 km2, and it has a population of 103 (2011 census). Its population is steadily decreasing (720 residents in 1953, 207 residents in 1981, and 124 residents in 2001).
The island is composed of two limestone ridges between which is a fertile valley. Vegetation of the island is mainly composed of maquis shrubland, with some farm land in the middle of the island. Main industries are agriculture (grapes, olives, plums, figs and sour cherries) and fishing. The sea around Žirje is rich with fish. Compared to other Croatian Adriatic islands, tourism on Žirje has remained largely undeveloped.
In 12th and 13th century the island was encircled by fortresses and walls and are a reminder of the Byzantine fortress from 6th century are situated at island. Due to its use by the Yugoslav Army, the southern and south-western parts of the island were isolated from the rest of the island for nearly half a century.
The ferry port on the island connects it via the D128 route to Šibenik.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Žirje". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- Žirje on adriagate.com
- Faričić & Magaš 2004, p. 127.
- Duplančić Leder, Tea; Ujević, Tin; Čala, Mendi (June 2004). "Coastline lengths and areas of islands in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea determined from the topographic maps at the scale of 1 : 25 000" (PDF). Geoadria. Zadar. 9 (1): 5–32. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- (in Croatian) "Žirje". General Encyclopedia of the Yugoslav Lexicographical Institute (in Croatian). 8. Zagreb: Yugoslav Lexicographical Institute. 1982.
- "STANOVNIŠTVO PREMA PRISUTNOSTI/ODSUTNOSTI U NASELJU POPISA, PO NASELJIMA, POPIS 2001". Croatian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- (in Croatian) First Croatian online peljar
- Žirje on croatiatouristcenter.com Archived 2006-11-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Faričić & Magaš 2004, p. 145.
- Faričić & Magaš 2004, pp. 146–148.
- Žirje on adriatic-croatian.com
- Faričić, Josip; Magaš, Damir (December 2004). "Suvremeni socio-geografski problemi malih hrvatskih otoka – primjer otoka Žirja" (PDF). Geoadria (in Croatian). 9 (2): 125–158. Retrieved 13 November 2018.