...And Now Miguel
|Published||1953 (Thomas Y. Crowell Company)|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
...And Now Miguel is a novel by Joseph Krumgold that won the Newbery Medal for excellence in American children's literature in 1954. It deals with the life of Miguel Chavez, a 12-year-old Hispanic-American shepherd from New Mexico. It is also the title of a 1953 documentary directed by Krumgold. In 1966, a feature film adaptation was directed by James B. Clark and starred Pat Cardi.
Miguel Chavez has dreamed of visiting the Sangre de Cristo Mountains since he was very little. This summer, he is going to work hard and pray until his father and grandfather realize that he is ready to take the trip with the rest of the older men.
His prayers are granted, though ironically – when his older brother is drafted his father needs an extra body and grudgingly allows Miguel to accompany them. Miguel is miserable with the manner in which his wish has been granted, and confesses to his brother what he prayed for. His brother explains that he had been praying to leave New Mexico and see more of the world – while he is not happy about being drafted, he fatalistically accepts that it is the only way he is likely to be able to fulfill his dream. The brothers resolve to allow God to work freely for the rest of their lives, and not bother God with petty requests.
The book was illustrated by artist Jean Charlot, described as " the greatest artist ever to devote himself regularly to the field of children's books". The New York Herald Tribune reviewer gave credit to Charlot: "Fully half of our pleasure in the book lay in the superb Charlot drawings." 
- admin (1999-11-30). "Newbery Medal and Honor Books, 1922-Present". Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- Gillespie, J.T.; Naden, C.J. (2001). The Newbery Companion: Booktalk and Related Materials for Newbery Medal and Honor Books. Newbery Companion. Libraries Unlimited. p. 188. ISBN 978-1-56308-813-1. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Passafiume, Andrea (16 October 2009). "...And Now Miguel". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Jean Charlot's Technique in Children's Book Illustration Peter Morse
- New York Herald Tribune Book Review , November 15, 1953
- And Now Miguel (1966 film) at the Internet Movie Database
- And Now Miguel (1953 documentary) at the TCM Movie Database
Secret of the Andes
|Newbery Medal recipient
The Wheel on the School
|This article about a children's novel of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.