|• Total||2,919.47 km2 (1,127.21 sq mi)|
|• Land||2,764.53 km2 (1,067.39 sq mi)|
|• Water||154.94 km2 (59.82 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (June 30, 2016)|
|• Density||1.2/km2 (3.0/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
In 1870 a part of old Överkalix Municipality was detached from it, forming a municipality called Korpilombolo (now in Pajala Municipality). The municipality was not affected by the two subdivision reforms of the 20th century.
Överkalix Municipality is situated along the south-going Kalix River. The unmodified scenic nature along the river attracts tourists and fishers every year. Within the municipality one also finds two of the river's most powerful waterfalls, Jockfall (9 metres fall) and Linafall (16 metres fall).
Continuing north along the Kalix River one finds the iron ore mines. Travelling south towards the coast one finds larger towns, with Luleå being the closest, located some 100 kilometres south. Transportation is reliable thanks to the E10 highway.
The municipal seat in bold
The municipality itself is the largest employer with around 430 employees. Thereafter follows Isolamin AB, a company making wall, ceiling and floor elements, with 110 employees. Other sectors:
- Service companies, 150 employees
- Forest and land companies, 45 employees
- Truck and bus companies, 35 employees
- Manufacturing companies, 20 employees
Traditionally the industry was dominated by forest industries, but this has decreased since the 1960s. It is estimated that the service sector will continue to expand and be the dominating sector some day. Many of those companies are in the field of computers and telecommunication.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 30 juni 2016" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. August 17, 2016. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Ullahansson.com (Swedish)
- Statistics Sweden as of December 31, 2005
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Överkalix Municipality.|
- Överkalix Municipality - Official site
|KML file (edit • help)|