Castle of Şereflikoçhisar
Location of Şereflikoçhisar within Turkey.
|• Kaymakam||Hasan KÜRKLÜ|
|• Mayor||Hakverdi Altuğ (AKP)|
|• District||2,127.79 km2 (821.54 sq mi)|
|Elevation||900-1,200 m (2,950-3,940 ft)|
|• District density||16/km2 (43/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Şereflikoçhisar is a town and district of Ankara Province in the Central Anatolia region of Turkey, 148 km south of the city of Ankara. According to 2010 census, population of the district is 35,9898 of which 29,091 live in the town of Şereflikoçhisar and the remainder in surrounding villages. The district covers an area of 2,034 km², and the average elevation varies between 900 and 1,200 m, with the highest point being Mt. Karasenir at 1,650 m.
The area is a flat dry plain, the only water being Hirfanlı reservoir and the salt lake Lake Tuz. The countryside is inhospitable, with minerals extracted from the salt lake being a major source of income. Therefore the rural population is migrating to nearby towns or abroad.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Statistical Institute
- GeoHive. "Statistical information on Turkey's administrative units". Retrieved March 26, 2008.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. "Geographical information on Şereflikoçhisar, Turkey". Retrieved March 26, 2008.
- Governorship of Şereflikoçhisar, Turkey. "Geographical information on Şereflikoçhisar district of Ankara" (in Turkish). Retrieved March 26, 2008.
|This geographical article about a location in Ankara Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|