'Til Summer Comes Around
|"'Til Summer Comes Around"|
|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Defying Gravity|
|Released||November 23, 2009|
|Length||5:31 (album version)
3:53 (radio edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Monty Powell, Keith Urban|
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Keith Urban|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"'Til Summer Comes Around" is a song co-written and recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban. It was released in November 2009 as the fourth single from his album Defying Gravity. The song debuted at number 41 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts in November 2009. The song was written by Urban and Monty Powell.
The narrator compares a quiet boardwalk in the wintertime to something "empty as [his] broken heart," remembering the times that he and his lover had at the carnival rides there while the boardwalk was open in the summertime. As the song progresses, it is revealed that he has remained in the town for several years, waiting for her to return, as promised, in the summer. It is accompanied mostly by electric guitar and organ.
The music video, directed by Noble Jones, was released on January 12, 2010. It won the Male Video of the Year Award at the 2010 CMT Music Awards. It debuted on CMT's Top Twenty Countdown at number 12 on the week of January 22, 2010, and has since reached number 3. It was filmed in Santa Monica, CA.
Thom Jurek of Allmusic referred to the song as "haunting, nocturnal, and dreamily textured" in his review of the album. Bobby Peacock of Roughstock said that it was "more substantial" than the album's other three singles and "a standout even among his many great ballads." Chris Neal, reviewing the single for Country Weekly, gave it four-and-a-half stars out of five, saying "The words paint a vivid picture of a setting that perfectly mirrors the narrator's emotional state" and calling it "one of his best [singles] to date."
"'Til Summer Comes Around" debuted at number 41 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts dated November 28, 2009. Before the song's release, a Keith Urban fan blog called Urban Country Blog had started a petition to release the song as a single. It also debuted at number 92 on the Billboard Hot 100 and has peaked at number 58. It reached a peak of number three on the Hot Country Songs charts in 2010.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||74|
|US Billboard Hot 100||58|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||13|
The song won the 2011 Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance on February 13, 2011.
by Keith Urban
|Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance
- Neal, Chris (2009-12-14). "Reviews — Singles". Country Weekly. 16 (44): 54. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Peacock, Bobby (2009-11-19). "Keith Urban — "'Til Summer Comes Around"". Roughstock. Archived from the original on 23 November 2009. Retrieved 20 November 2009.
- Jurek, Thom. "Defying Gravity review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- "Keith Urban – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Keith Urban – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Keith Urban – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Keith Urban. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Archived from the original on 11 December 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- Tucker, Ken (13 February 2011). "Lady Antebellum Tops Grammys". Country Weekly. Archived from the original on 17 February 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2011.