Professor (Arthur) Allan Gibb OBE, is the founder and former director of the Small Business Centre, Durham University, Durham. Established in 1971 to provide training and education for entrepreneurs, the Small Business Centre was the first social enterprise of its kind in Europe. Gibb has been described in an OECD publication as "the doyen of entrepreneurship and small business development academics". In 2009, Gibb co-authored "Leading the Entrepreneurial University", together with G. Haskins, P. Hannon and I. Robertson, published by the National Centre for Entrepreneurship in Education and Said Business School, Oxford University. Updated in 2012, the publication served as the principal handbook for the Entrepreneurial University Leaders Programme (EULP), launched at Oxford University in 2010. Ideas derived from EULP and the handbook led to changes to develop the University of Wales, Newport into an entrepreneurial university in 2012-13.
In 2009, he received the Queen's Award for Enterprise Promotion for lifetime achievement. In 2012, Gibb was awarded the first European Entrepreneurship Education Award by the Sten K. Johnson Centre for Entrepreneurship in Sweden.
- Robert Gibson, Small Business Centre experts reunite for interactive conference at Durham University, Evening Chronicle, 21 August 2015. Accessed 22 November 2015.
- David Grayson, "Entrepreneurship advice, training and mentoring for urban renewal: Perspectives from the United Kingdom and Europe", in OECD, Local Economic and Employment Development Entrepreneurship: A Catalyst for Urban Regeneration (OECD Publishing, 2004), p. 131. Available on Google Books. Accessed 22 November 2015.
- Allan Gibb, Gay Haskins, Paul Hannon "Leading the Entrepreneurial University", Said Business School, Oxford, and National Centre for Entrepreneurship in Education (NCEE), Coventry, 2009, updated 2012
- Queen's Award for Enterprise Promotion, London Gazette, Tuesday 21 April 2009, Supplement no. 1, J5.
- "Award Laureates". Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Personal website: http://www.allangibb.com/
|This United Kingdom business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|