(I Just) Died in Your Arms
|"(I Just) Died in Your Arms"|
|Single by Cutting Crew|
|from the album Broadcast|
|B-side||"For the Longest Time"|
|Released||25 July 1986 (UK)|
1 January 1987 (US)
|Songwriter(s)||Nick Van Eede|
|Cutting Crew singles chronology|
"(I Just) Died in Your Arms" is a song by the English pop rock band Cutting Crew. The song was released as the lead single from their debut studio album, Broadcast (1986). It was first released on 25 July 1986 in the United Kingdom, and then released to the United States on 1 January 1987. The song was written by frontman Nick Van Eede, produced by Terry Brown, John Jansen and the band, and mixed at Utopia Studios in London by Tim Palmer.
Background and writing
The words "I just died in your arms tonight" allegedly came to Van Eede while he was having sex with his girlfriend, the French phrase la petite mort, or "the little death", being a metaphor for orgasm. After writing down his version of the phrase, he later used it as the opening line to the song as well as using it as the chorus.
There were two music videos produced. The North American version featured artistic fragmented shots using a model, with the band performing to camera. The UK version was filmed both in color as well as in black and white in a film studio.
First released in Britain, the song peaked at #4 on the UK charts in August 1986. Upon its release in the United States, the previously unknown band's debut single shot to number one on 2 May 1987, and stayed there for two weeks. It also reached #4 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, #24 on Billboard's Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart and (in a remix version) #37 on the Hot Dance/Club Play chart. The song spent three weeks at #1 in Canada.
In popular culture
The track appears in the 1999 movie Never Been Kissed, the 2007 movie Hot Rod, the 2010 film Hot Tub Time Machine, the 2015 film Gravy, the 2015 television series Ash vs Evil Dead (Season 2 "Home again") and the 2017 film The Lego Batman Movie. The song was made available for download on 7 August 2012 to play in Rock Band 3 Basic and PRO mode utilizing real guitar / bass guitar, and MIDI compatible electronic drum kits / keyboards. It also can be heard on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on Emotion 98.3 radio. It also played briefly during DC's Legend of Tomorrow in the episode "Compromised". A Spider-Man collected edition graphic novel is named Spider-Man: Died in Your Arms Tonight (and it collects The Amazing Spider-Man (1998- 2nd Series) #600-601, Annual #36 and material from Amazing Spider-Man Family (2008) #7, 200 pages, November 2009, ISBN 0-7851-4459-5). A snippet of the track can also be heard in Episode 1 of Stranger Things 3 when Mrs. Wheeler is getting ready to see Billy, although it is anachronistic, since the episode is set in 1985.
- "The 21 best power ballads".
- Bronson, Fred (2001). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits. ISBN 0-8230-7677-6. Retrieved 25 January 2007.
- "Filme online schauen in der Online-Videothek von MyVideo - MyVideo". www.myvideo.de.
- "Cutting Crew, "(I Just) Died in Your Arms" Chart Positions". Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Austriancharts.at – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- Belgian peak Archived 9 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Item Display – RPM – Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 25 February 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2010.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 7 June 1987. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Cutting Crew: (I Just) Died in Your Arms" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Charts.nz – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". Top 40 Singles.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Cutting Crew" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". VG-lista.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died in Your Arms". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Top 100 Singles". Music Week. London, England: Spotlight Publications. 24 January 1987. p. 24.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". www.collectionscanada.gc.ca.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1987/Top 100 Songs of 1987". www.musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 7 December 2015.