|Introduced||24 October 1985|
|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||Israel Internet Association|
|Sponsor||Internet Society of Israel, NIC - ISRAEL[permanent dead link]|
|Intended use||Entities connected with:|
|Actual use||Popular in Israel|
|Registration restrictions||Limitations vary based on which 2nd-level domain registration is within; registry reserves right to screen and reject applications|
|Structure||Names are registered at third level within generic second-level categories|
|Dispute policies||Optional dispute resolution via Advisory Committee|
|TLD type||Internationalized country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Israel|
|Actual use||Not yet|
.il is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) of Israel. It is administered by the Israel Internet Association and managed by NIC - ISRAEL[permanent dead link], which hosts the DNS root server and manages the Israeli Internet Exchange, that supports IPv4 and IPv6.
The .il top-level domain is one of the earliest registered ccTLDs. When Israel registered it, on 24 October 1985, it was the third registration of any ccTLD, after .us and .uk, which were registered earlier that year.
Top-level domains in Hebrew script
As a more private initiative the top-level domain .קום ("com") was registered by VeriSign in 2016. It has as of 2020 many thousand second-level domains, mostly in Hebrew script, some in Latin script.
There are eight Second Level Domains:
.ac.il: Academic Institutions; administration delegated to the Inter-University Computation Center.
.co.il: Commercial Entities; administration delegated to five private registrars.
.org.il: Non-commercial Organizations; administration delegated to five private registrars.
.net.il: Israeli Internet service providers; available only to licensed providers by the Israel Internet Association.
.k12.il: Schools and Kindergartens
.gov.il: Government and Governmental System; administration delegated to Ministry of Finance.
.muni.il: Municipal Government
.idf.il: Israel Defense Forces; administration delegated to the army's Center of Computing and Information Systems.
Registration of other second-level domain names directly under .il is not supported.
- IANA's Delegation Record, at the bottom of the page.
- "About Us". Israel Internet Association - ISOC-IL. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Delegation Record for .US". IANA. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Delegation Record for .UK". IANA. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "".ישראל " – New Israeli country code top-level domain (ccTLD)". ISOC. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- "ICANN Announces Successful String Evaluation for Israel IDN ccTLD". ICANN. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- "IDN ccTLD Form of Interest - Israel". ICANN. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Rules for the Allocation of Domain Names Under the Israel Country Code Top Level Domain ("IL ")". Israel Internet Association - ISOC-IL. August 2010. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Hebrew Domain Names Archived 10 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- IANA .il whois information
- Israeli Internet Association – Archived 2006-08-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Israeli Internet Association – official site of the .il ccTLD (English version)
- Israel Network Information Center[permanent dead link]