.500 Black Powder Express
|.500 Black Powder Express|
|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Case type||Straight walled, rimmed|
|Bullet diameter||.510 in (13.0 mm)|
|Neck diameter||.535 in (13.6 mm)|
|Base diameter||.580 in (14.7 mm)|
|Rim diameter||.660 in (16.8 mm)|
|Rim thickness||.055 in (1.4 mm)|
|Case length||3.01 in (76 mm)|
|Overall length||3.39 in (86 mm)|
|Primer type||Kynoch # 31A|
|Test barrel length: 28
Source(s): Barnes & Amber and Kynoch 
The cartridge was offered in several case lengths including 1½-inch, 2-inch, 2¼-inch, 2⅝-inch, 3-inch and 3¼-inch,several were successful and endured others lasted only a short period.
The 3-inch and 3¼-inch .500 BPE cartridges have survived to the current day as the .500 3-inch Nitro for Black and the .500 3¼-inch Nitro for Black, the same cartridges loaded with mild loadings of modern smokeless powder, carefully balanced through trial to replicate the ballistics of the Black powder version. The two cartridges offer almost identical ballistic performance to each other, and are very similar to the .50-140 Sharps.
Nitro Express loadings
The .500 BPE was considered a good cartridge for medium-sized non dangerous game and can still be used for such.
The .500 BPE was never highly regarded for hunting in Africa, yet it was a popular cartridge in India, considered a good general purpose rifle cartridge popular for hunting tigers. Jim Corbett was a user of a .500 BPE rifle prior to switching to a .400 Jeffery Nitro Express double rifle, shooting cordite Nitro for Black loadings this rifle was used to dispatch the first man-eater he shot, the Champawat Tiger.
- Barnes, Frank C. & Amber, John T., Cartridges of the World, DBI Books, Northfield, 1972, ISBN 0-695-80326-3.
- Corbett, Jim, Man-Eaters of Kumaon, Oxford University Press, Bombay, 1944.
- Kynoch Ammunition, Big Game Cartridges kynochammunition.co.uk
- McCarthy, Daniel, Mini Compendium of Big Bore Cartridges, 2004, archived 26 March 2009.
- Wieland, Terry, Dangerous-game rifles, ed 2, Down East Books / Shooting Sportsman Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0-89272-807-7.
- Wieland, Terry, Nitro Express: The Big Bang of the Big Bang, retrieved 14 Nov 15.
|This ammunition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|