|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||Nigeria Internet Registration Association|
|Sponsor||National Information Technology Development Agency|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Nigeria|
|Actual use||Popular in Nigeria and abroad|
|Registered domains||101,695 (January, 2018)|
|Registration restrictions||Open domains can be registered by anybody with intent to use; semi-closed and closed domains have specific industry-based restrictions. There are no other restrictions|
|Structure||Registrations can be made both at the second and third levels; NIRA may register premium domains at the second level|
|Dispute policies||NIRA Dispute Resolution Policy|
|Registry website||NIRA (Nigeria Internet Registration Association)|
On May 13, 2009, IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) completed the process of re-delegation of the .ng domain name from temporary authorities to the current Nigerian ones. For many years, Randy Bush had been the Technical contact of the .ng domain name. With the IANA re-delegation, the technical contact is now the local Nigerian DNS administrator, while the administrative contact is the president of Nigeria Internet Registration Association.
To speed up the process of registering .ng domain names, NIRA has accredited a first batch of 29 Domain registrars, most of whom are Nigerian companies. Registrars are categorized into Platinum, Gold, Silver and Standard categories.
Second level domains
- com.ng – open domain, commercial entities and businesses
- org.ng – semi-open domain, non-commercial organizations
- gov.ng – closed domain, governmental organizations
- edu.ng – closed domain, degree awarding institutions
- net.ng – closed domain, ISP infrastructure
- sch.ng – closed domain, Secondary Schools
- name.ng – open domain
- mobi.ng – open domain, suitable for mobile devices
- mil.ng – closed domain (Nigerian Military Establishments only)
- i.ng – open domain, All purpose and businesses
In addition, NIRA themselves reserve the right to register 'premium' top level domains under .ng (for example, google.ng).
In January 2018 there were more than 60 registrars accredited by NIRA.  Most popular domain zone is .com.ng, having almost 70% of all national domains registered. The .ng domain comes next (17%) although within the zone a domain name is shorter, domain registration here costs several times more than in .com.ng while .org.ng, which is usually used by non-profit organisations, ranks third (7%).
- "NIRA registrars listing". Archived from the original on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- "NIRA Domain name policy". Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- NIRA gets 3 life Patrons, IT Realms, Retrieved 23 January 2016
- .NG Accredited registrars list
- ".NG Domain usage statistics. December, 2017". Archived from the original on 2018-08-13. Retrieved 2018-12-17.
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|