The name "app" is a short form of the word application often used in IT-sector. This domain name is to be used by developer companies, professionals and enthusiast developers and entrepreneurs applications, app-support services or other useful related products and tools.
The development of .app domain name began in 2012 after ICANN has announced "New gTLD Program". The program's goal is to expand the current variety of namespaces by almost unlimited quantity of new entries. In January 2012 the program received its first applications and in 2013 first serious investment inflow. The first part of program's domain names has been released in late 2014. Google opened public registration of the domain in May of 2018.
The .app domain name creation has been interesting  for many development companies, professionals or enthuthiast developers for many years as it could provide a domain name space for applications and related products. The .app gTLD would allow users to easily recognize a Web site dedicated to an application or related product or service.
.app Domains are, according to Gandi.net and other Resellers, "a security-focused space, meaning that HTTPS is required for all websites."
- "New gTLD Program". Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Jillian D'Onfro (27 Feb 2015). "Google just paid $25 million to buy the entire '.app' web domain". Business Insider. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- ".app". ICANNWiki. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Introducing .app, a more secure home for apps on the web". Google. May 1, 2018. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "With .APP: there's finally a domain for that". united domains. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Where can I purchase .app TLD?". stackoverflow. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "When will .app tlds be available?". quora. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "New gTLD Auction Results". ICANN. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|