This article needs to be updated.(February 2014)
|Introduced||Officially introduced in 2014|
|Registry||dotBERLIN GmbH & Co. KG|
|Sponsor||dotBERLIN GmbH & Co. KG|
|Intended use||See article|
|Actual use||Launched March 18, 2014|
|Structure||Registrations are being taken directly at second level|
|Documents||ICANN registry agreement|
.berlin (dotBERLIN) is an approved top level domain (TLD) for the Internet. It is a community-based sponsored top-level domain for Berliners. According to the dotBERLIN Organization, .berlin will allow all Berliners to register their domains under .berlin 
Along with TLDs such as .cat and .asia, .berlin and other new TLDs fall into the new category of GeoTLDs. The issue of new top level domains in general and .berlin in particular has been discussed at various ICANN-Meetings since 2005.
A statement by proponents of the .berlin proposal reads thus:
.berlin is the independent top-level domain of the community of Berliners (on) the Internet. The local addresses available with this are concise and create an identity for citizens, companies, and institutions. Those providing and looking for information, goods, and services can thus intuitively come together. The .berlin domains strengthen the feeling of community amongst Berliners, improve communication, and make interaction easier, thus providing a stimulus for innovation and development. Both for Berliners and for non-Berliners, places called Berlin become more attractive as a place to visit, as a commercial location and as a place to live.
- "New Paper Discusses Global City TLD's in the Public Interest".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- cityTLD Literature Archived 2008-06-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Website for the .berlin campaign".
- ".berlin Registry Agreement". ICANN. October 31, 2013. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- The initiative for .BERLIN and .BERLIN wiki
- .BERLIN press release for support of City of Berlin Government
- Captioning of .berlin presentation at ICANN Meeting Vancouver Dec 2005
- .berlin presentation at ICANN Meeting Jan Juan Jun 2007
- .berlin/.nyc/.paris presentation by dotBERLIN at ccTLD Meeting in Helsinki June 2007
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|