|Introduced||May 12, 2016|
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain|
The domain name .blog is a generic top level domain (gTLD) in the Domain Name System of the Internet. Added in 2016, it is intended to be used for blogs. Anyone can sign up for a dot blog domain name at the regular available prices. People can currently purchase .blog domains at a variety of domain registrars. However, there are some restrictions regarding trademark names.
In late 2013, due to concerns over "name collisions", wherein companies could potentially be using some proposed gTLDs internally for their use, the ICANN halted progression of .blog and 24 other proposed gTLDs pending further review.
In 2015, the rights to the .blog TLD were auctioned off to Automattic in for an estimated sum of US$19 million. The TLD became active on 12 May 2016.
In 2019, it was announced that Automattic will switch its backend registry provider for its .blog from Nominet to CentralNic with the goal to further advance .blog through tools and services available from CentralNic.
- ^ ".blog Domains Are Now Available to Everyone!". wordpress blog. 21 November 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- ^ "Give your website traction with a .blog domain". godaddy. 21 November 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- ^ ".Blog Domains By WordPress Available On The 21st Of November Starting At $30". onlinedomain.com. 19 August 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- ^ ".blog domain has finally arrived. Grab your favorite one from get.blog". abc hub. Archived from the original on 24 November 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- ^ "Reports for Alternate Path to Delegation Published". ICANN. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- ^ "WordPress reveals IT bought .blog for $19 million | Domain Incite - Domain Name Industry News, Analysis & Opinion". DomainIncite - Domain Name Industry News, Analysis & Opinion. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- ^ "Delegation Record for .BLOG". IANA. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- ^ V, Erica (15 May 2019). "Upcoming Changes at .blog". Knock Knock WHOIS There. Retrieved 24 May 2021.