|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
|TLD type||top-level domain|
|Status||Available September 2014 |
|Intended use||Wales and Welsh language|
|Actual use||Wales and Welsh language|
|Website||Nominet: Cymru - Wales and Our Home Online (Domain for Wales)|
.cymru is a top-level domain for Wales put forth by the major British internet registry company Nominet, which has run the top-level domain (TLD) for the UK (.uk) and several second-level domains for the UK, including .co.uk, since 1996. This proposal initially entered into conflict with .cym proposed by the Wales-based, not-for-profit dotCYM organisation for the Welsh language and culture. In 2008 dotCYM, dotEUS, dotSCOT and dotBZH formed the European Cultural and Linguistic Domains (ECLID) network.
In June 2014 final go-ahead for the domains was granted by ICANN and a phased launch of the new domains began. Initially the new domains will be available to trademark holders with full availability planned for the spring of 2015.
Wikipedia articles on other top-level domains based on language and culture:
- "Welsh government switches its internet address to .cymru and .wales". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- "About us". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- "dotCYM- Campaigning for a Welsh cultural and linguistic domain". dotcym.org.
- "Cymru and the Haka", Siôn Jobbins, Click on Wales, 27 October 2011.
- "How .cymru and .wales will work - rules and processes published today". nominet.org.uk.
- "Get Your Domain". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- Nominet: Cymru - Wales (in English)
- Our Home Online (Domain for Wales) (en English and Welsh)
- The European Cultural and Linguistic Domains Network.
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|