|TLD type||top-level domain|
|Status||Available September 2014 |
|Intended use||Wales and Welsh language|
|Actual use||Wales and Welsh language|
|Registry Website||Nominet: Cymru - Wales and Our Home Online (Domain for Wales)|
.cymru is one of two geographic top level domains (GeoTLD) for Wales (the other being .wales). The TLD was proposed by the British internet registry company Nominet, which has run the domain for the UK (.uk) since 1996. The proposal initially ran into conflict with .cym, proposed by the Wales-based, not-for-profit dotCYM organisation, which advocates for the Welsh language and culture.
In June 2014, final go-ahead for the domains was granted by ICANN, and a phased launch of the new domains began. Initially, the new domains were available to trademark holders, with full availability originally planned for the spring of 2015.
Wikipedia articles on other top-level domains based on language and culture:
- "Welsh government switches its internet address to .cymru and .wales". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- "About us". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- "dotCYM- Campaigning for a Welsh cultural and linguistic domain". dotcym.org. Archived from the original on 2006-06-19. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Cymru and the Haka" Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, Siôn Jobbins, Click on Wales, 27 October 2011.
- "How .cymru and .wales will work - rules and processes published today". nominet.org.uk.
- "Get Your Domain". ourhomeonline.org.uk.
- Nominet: Cymru - Wales (in English)
- Our Home Online (Domain for Wales) (en English and Welsh)
- The European Cultural and Linguistic Domains Network.
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|