||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||dotFM (BRS Media Inc.)|
|Sponsor||FSM Telecommunications Corporation|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Federated States of Micronesia|
|Actual use||Much use related to FM radio; little related to FSM|
|Structure||Registrations are available directly at second level|
Except for reserved names like .com.fm, .net.fm, .org.fm and others, any person in the world can register a .fm domain for a fee, much of the income from which goes to the government and people of the islands. The domain name is popular (and thus economically valuable) for FM radio stations and streaming audio websites (other similar ccTLDs are .am, .tv, .cd, .dj and .mu); a notable example is Last.fm, a social music website.
Social media use
The .fm domain extension has also been used by various companies outside the audio streaming industry or the Federated States of Micronesia. Examples include:
- Ask.fm, website through which people ask and answer questions
- CHARGED.fm, ticketing software comp
- clarity.fm, website providing on demand advice from proven entrepreneurs
- favstar.fm, website listing people's most favorited and retweeted Twitter posts.any and e-commerce website
- FastMail, email provider, operates
- HelloInternet.fm, website for a podcast series
- Last.fm, Internet radio streaming and statistics service
- Ping.fm, centralized tool for users to manage social media
- Relay.fm, an online podcasting network run by Myke Hurly
- Smart.fm, online education tool
- Tastebuds.fm, dating website for music fans
- thefuture.fm, website providing a platform for DJ's to distribute their mixes, and a source for internet radio.
- Turntable.fm, social media site for interactively sharing music
- "Buy and Sell Tickets - Create, Discover, and Share Events on CHARGED.fm". CHARGED.fm.
- "Hello Internet". Hello Internet.