|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Iceland|
|Actual use||Very popular in Iceland|
|Structure||Registrations are directly at second level|
|Dispute policies||Icelandic Consumer Agency and/or ISNIC's Board of Appeals|
.is (dot is) is the top-level domain for Iceland. The country code is derived from the first two letters of Ísland, which is the Icelandic word for Iceland. Registration of .is domains is open to all persons and companies without any special restriction.
The very first .is-domain, hi.is, is the domain of University of Iceland. It was registered on December 11, 1986, making it one of the earliest ever domain registrations on the Internet.
According to McAfee report "Mapping the Mal Web", .is has been evaluated as one of the top 10 most secure TLDs in the world in year 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. No report has come out since then. As of December 2015 there were just about 56,000 .is-domains registered.
As of October 2016 .is domains can be registered for five years.
Many domain hacks exist which use the .is suffix as the English verb is. Some examples are who.is, this.is, she.is, he.is, time.is, myname.is, hellomyname.is, pronoun.is. Many names can be used which end with is, such as will.is and ell.is.
- "ISNIC Registry: Domain Rules". Isnic.is. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "ISNIC Lénaskrá: Fyrirtækið" (in Icelandic). Retrieved 9 January 2009.
.IS amongst the most secure top level domains in the world.
- "Tölulegar upplýsingar um rótarlénið .is" (in Icelandic). Archived from the original on 2 June 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Announcement". ISNIC. 12 October 2014. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- ".is registrations can now be renewed for up to five years". Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "ISNIC Registry: ISNIC Registration Certificate". Isnic.is. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|