|Introduced||25 November 2013|
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain|
|Registry||Dot Kiwi Ltd. (operated by Canadian Internet Registration Authority)|
|Sponsor||Dot Kiwi Limited|
|Intended use||Entities connected with New Zealand|
.kiwi is an Internet generic top-level domain with emphasis on New Zealand. It employs the colloquial term kiwi, used to refer to New Zealanders. It is the first, and presently only, New Zealand-specific top level domain name approved by ICANN.
Dot Kiwi Limited reportedly spent a "seven-figure" sum securing the new top level domain from the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
The domain launched with a 'landrush' period in March 2014 after two years of planning.
In May 2014, shortly after launch, 4,600 .kiwi domains had been activated. As at the first anniversary on 1 May 2015, 12,000 .kiwi domains had been registered. Dot Kiwi Limited claimed that this meant .kiwi was in the top 25 per cent of new domains released by ICANN.
The .kiwi top level domain is not to be confused with .kiwi.nz, which launched as a new option under the .nz top level domain in August 2012.
As of 6 December 2016.
- 101 Domain
- IP Mirror
- Marcaria (company)
- Network Solutions
- Amazon Route 53
- "Dot kiwi domain name reservations set to begin". TVNZ. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "Dot kiwi enters internet domain names". Newshub. 12 February 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- ".kiwi domain names go live after two years of planning". Scoop News. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Thousands switch to .kiwi domain". Stuff. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Dot Kiwi Celebrates First Anniversary". Scoop News. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- Bell, Stephen (28 August 2012). "Dot Kiwi fails to knock out .kiwi.nz". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "CIRA becomes first new gTLD back-end since 2012". DomainIncite. 22 September 2016. Archived from the original on 1 June 2019. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "Accredited Registrars". Hello.kiwi.
- "Dot kiwi domain name reservations set to begin". TVNZ.
- "Trademark holders have a month to get .kiwi domain names". scoop.co.nz.
- "Kiwi domain is almost ready to join the dots". Stuff.
- Sathya Mithra Ashok. "All Kiwis can apply for a .kiwi domain name now". Computerworld New Zealand.
- James Henderson. "12K and counting as Dot Kiwi captures NZ imagination". Computerworld New Zealand.
- "Real estate tops .kiwi domain". Stuff.
- "NZ web users may get .kiwi domain". The New Zealand Herald.
- James Henderson. ""Watershed day" as NZ domain name game hots up". Computerworld New Zealand.
- "Dot Kiwi domain names in hot demand". TVNZ. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2015.