This article needs to be updated.(February 2015)
|Introduced||1 February 1989|
|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Mexico|
|Actual use||No nexus or presence requirement is enforced, but most use is in Mexico|
|Registered domains||854,524 (21 July 2017).mx Statistics|
|Registration restrictions||None for .mx nor .com.mx; other subdomains may have restrictions|
|Structure||Second-level registrations after October 31, 2009; registration at third level beneath generic-category second-level domains|
|Registry website||NIC México Dominios.mx|
- Sunrise period from 1 May to 31 July 2009, waiting period, registrants who have already registered any other .MX second-level domain were able to register their domain for one year
- Waiting period from 1 August to 31 August 2009, to set up the domains registered in the Sunrise period, and to resolve domain name disputes
- Initial registration period from 1 September to 31 October 2009; in this part the registration will be done with the policy first-come, first-served and only for one year with a special set of prices.[needs update]
After the three phases, .mx registrations was opened to the public.
- .com.mx: Commercial entities (actually unrestricted, like .com)
- .net.mx: Network providers (registration limited to qualifying entities)
- .org.mx: Non-profit organizations (registration limited to qualifying entities)
- .ngo.mx: Non-profit organizations or Civil society organizations (registration NOT limited to qualifying entities)
- .edu.mx: Educational institutions (registration limited to qualifying entities)
- .gob.mx: Federal, State or Municipal Governmental entities only (.gob derives from the Spanish word for government: "Gobierno")
Currently second level domains can be registered directly under .mx.
On 30 April 2009, second level domain registrations were 0.06% of the total. A month later the value was up to 4.9% On 30 April 2010, second level registrations were 21.4% of the total.
- "NIC Mexico announces the phases for the re-opening of domain name registrations directly under .MX". www.registry.mx - NIC México. 2009-02-10. Archived from the original on 22 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- "NIC México anuncia las etapas de la reapertura de dominios directamente bajo .MX" (in Spanish). www.nic.mx - NIC México. 2009-02-10. Archived from the original on 14 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- Registry .mx, Initial Registration Period Star[t]s on September 1st, 2009
- Registry.mx. "Estadísticas mensuales" (in Spanish). Retrieved May 11, 2010.