|Introduced||April 16, 2014|
|TLD type||Sponsored top-level domain|
|Intended use||Promotion of businesses, culture, tourism, and identity of Quebec|
The .quebec domain is a new GeoTLD and Community Priority Application that was proposed to ICANN's New gTLD Program by PointQuébec, a non-profit organisation. The organisation aims to improve the businesses, culture, tourism, and online identity of Quebec and the Québécois through the .quebec TLD. According to the PointQuébec organisation, .quebec will allow all Quebecers to register their domain names under .quebec.
PointQuébec's application for the GeoTLD was approved, and was delegated to the Root Zone on 16 April 2014. The application was supported by the National Assembly of Quebec and other cultural, technical, and economic institutions in the province. The application received support from all political parties in the legislature. It received "substantial financial support from the Government of Quebec", and is a not-for profit organisation. Including a $185,000 loan. The organisation will verify legitimate registrations via statements of intent through a post-verification registration system. Quebec officially launched on November 18, 2014.
Michel Philibert, a spokesman for PointQuebec, stated “We have our own culture, and we have our own way of doing things, and we want to also affirm our presence on the web”
Along with TLDs such as .africa, .cat, .paris, .quebec and other new TLDs fall into the new category of GeoTLDs. The issue of new top level domains in general and .quebec in particular has been discussed at various ICANN-Meetings since 2005.
Signing of contract
Delegation and availability
- Blatchford, Andy (2014-08-22). "Quebec to get its own distinct internet domain name". Global News. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- "Delegated Strings". ICANN. 2014-04-16. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- Blatchford, Andy (2014-08-22). "Quebec to get its own distinct internet domain name | Globalnews.ca". Global News. Archived from the original on 2019-09-15. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- PointQuébec-Who We Are
- "Quebec soon to be Canada's only province with distinct domain name: dot-Quebec | National Post". National Post. 2014-08-22.
- Delegated Strings, ICANN.org Retrieved 30 May 2014
- The National Assembly passed a motion unanimously
- Application 1-1663-45909. Retrieved 23 November 2012
- "ICANN Email Archives". Archived from the original on 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- "cityTLD Literature". Archived from the original on 2008-06-04. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
- Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 30 Dec 2013