|Original author(s)||Cooper & Chyan Technology, Inc.|
|Developer(s)||Cadence Design Systems|
17.2 / October 2016
|Operating system||Unix, Windows|
Specctra is a commercial PCB auto-router originally developed by John F. Cooper and David Chyan of Cooper & Chyan Technology, Inc. (CCT) in 1989. The company and product were taken over by Cadence Design Systems in May 1997. Since its integration into Cadence's Allegro PCB Editor, the name of the router is Allegro PCB Router. The latest version is 17.2 (October 2016).
Specctra routes boards by presenting graphical data using a "shape-based" technology which represents graphical objects not as a set of points-coordinates, but more compact. This increases the efficiency of routing printed circuit boards with a high density of components, provides automatic routing of the same chain of tracks of different widths and more.
Specctra uses adaptive algorithms implemented in multiple trace runs. The routing is carried out in three stages:
- preview routing
- additional processing of autoroute results
On the first pass, the connection of all conductors is performed, regardless of the presence of conflicts, which consist in crossing the conductors on one layer and breaking the gaps. On each subsequent pass, the auto-router tries to reduce the number of conflicts by breaking and re-building connections (the ripup-and-retry router method) and pushing the conductors by pushing the neighboring ones (the push-and-shove router method). Electromagnetic compatibility can be tested in Specctra through the “SPECCTRAQuest SI Expert” module.
The program is compatible with many design systems for printed circuit boards, thanks to the use of industrial-standard DSN design file format for project description and Do-files to specify routing strategies. The results are returned to the board editor via SES session files as well as RTE files. Protocol command execution is recorded in Did-file, which after editing can be used as new Do-files.
List of EDA tools supporting Specctra
- ACCEL PCB
- Cadence Allegro
- CADVANCE V / α
- DREAM CAD
- EAGLE (via BRD_TO_DSN.ULP etc.)
- Mentor BoardStation
- OrCAD Layout
- PADS Perform / PowerPCB
- Protel Advanced PCB
- TARGET 3001!
- Vanguard PCB
- Zuken CR3000 / CR5000
- Zuken Visula / Zuken CadStar
- Allegro PCB Designer // Constraint-driven PCB design
- Yolshin Y. Specctra-practical experience system. Tracer Cadence Specctra expert // Components and Technologies. 2006. number 58.
- http://plmpedia.ru/wiki/Spectra Spectra — PLMpedia
- "KONEKT Shape Based PCB Autorouting - ELECTRA PCB AutoRouting". KONEKT. 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-09-23. Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- "TopoR Version History - What's New in TopoR version 6.2". Eremex. 2017-09-24. Archived from the original on 2017-09-24. Retrieved 2017-09-24. (NB. Includes a list of new features since TopoR 3.0.)
- Wirtz, Alfons (2014-03-08) . "FreeRouting - Printed Circuit Board Routing Software from FreeRouting.net". Archived from the original on 2017-09-23. Retrieved 2017-09-24.