|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Sponsor||Government of South Sudan|
|Intended use||Entities connected with|
.ss is the designated country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for South Sudan in the Domain Name System of the Internet. It is derived from the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code for South Sudan, which is SS. According to CIO East Africa, the TLD was allocated on 10 August 2011 following the country's declaration of independence from Sudan. The TLD was registered on 31 August 2011, but not added to the DNS root zone and was thus not operational. It was approved at the ICANN Board meeting on 27 January 2019 and was added to the DNS root zone on 2 February 2019.
Before .ss was successfully registered, the country's Undersecretary for Telecommunications had initially been concerned about the ccTLD request's possible rejection due to SS also being an abbreviation for Schutzstaffel, the paramilitary force of Nazi Germany.
Before the independence of South Sudan, the applicable domain was .sd, Sudan's top-level Internet domain.
There also exist a number of second-level domains:
- .edu.ss - for South Sudan higher educational institutions
- .com.ss - open to all applicants (intended for commercial entities)
- .net.ss - for network operators
- .biz.ss - any business entity
- .org.ss - for South Sudan NGOs
- .sch.ss - for South Sudan secondary and primary schools
- .me.ss - for personal websites (name.me.ss)
- .gov.ss - for South Sudan government entities only
- Mbuvi, Dennis (10 August 2011). "South Sudan gets own 'ss' domain". CIO East Africa. Archived from the original on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- "Approved Board Resolutions - Regular Meeting of the ICANN Board". ICANN. Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- ".ss Domain Delegation Data". Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. ICANN. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- Clarke, Jeremy (29 June 2011). "South Sudan takes final steps toward statehood". Reuters. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- "ssNIC Registration Launch Timelines". ssNIC. 2020-05-16. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "Sunrise Registration Policy". ssNIC. June 2020. Retrieved 2020-07-13.