This article needs to be updated.June 2016)(
This article possibly contains original research. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||Internet Office of the Holy See|
|Sponsor||Holy See Secretariat of State|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Vatican City|
|Actual use||Used for the official Vatican / Holy See site|
|Registration restrictions||No public registrations are available|
|Structure||Only official sites of the Vatican are in this domain; they are at second-level names, as well as within vatican.va|
|Dispute policies||None needed since registrations are unavailable outside Vatican administration|
The .va top-level domain was created in 1995 by the Archbishop John Patrick Foley of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications. The website Vatican.va went live on Christmas day of 1995.
Second-level domains are not available to the public.
Name and email servers within the .va namespace include john.vatican.va (DNS and email), michael.vatican.va (DNS), paul.vatican.va (email), lists.vatican.va (email), and vatiradio.va (email).
There are 23 easily found names starting with "www" in the va zone, listed below. There are many more subdomains for email only
"www" names with websites
- Vatican Main Website is pointed to by these names: www.va - www.vatican.va - www.pcf.va - www.news.va
- Vatican State Government: www.vaticanstate.va
- Landing page for the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano: www.osservatoreromano.va
- Vatican Museums: www.museivaticani.va - www.cappellasistina.va - www.chapellesixtine.va - www.capillasixtina.va - www.sistinechapel.va - www.sixtinischekapelle.va
- Apostolic Penitentiary: www.paenitentiaria.va www.penitenzieria.va
- Pontifical Mission Societies: www.ppoomm.va
- Parish Church of Sant'Anna dei Palafrenieri in the Vatican: www.santanna.va
- Istituto per le Opere di Religione: www.ior.va
- Photo Ordering Site: www.photo.va
- "Portale Catholica Di Test Accesso ai servizi intranet" - Java driven portal of sorts: www.catholica.va
- Radio Vatican: www.radiovaticana.va
Non-"www" names with websites:
- Main Vatican Website: benedettoxvi.va - benedictumxvi.va - search.vatican.va - seraphin.vatican.va
- Vatican Archives: asv.vatican.va
- Mailing Lists (Mailman): mlists.vatican.va
- Vatican Museums: mv.vatican.va - sistinechapel.va
- Vatican Library: bav.vatican.va
- "Compendium" (Username/Password required): isidoro.vatican.va
- Vatican Webmail (note: SSL issued by same CA as for www.photo.va with CN of "Luigi Salimbeni") (Username/Password required): webmail.mailservice.va
- Radio Vatican language services (various two-letter language codes)
- "Delegation Record for .VA". Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "The Vatican Internet Service". www.lasalette.org. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- "Vatican opposes faith-based Web addresses". Religion News Service. 2009-03-07. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- "Cardinal John Patrick Foley dies at the age of 76". Catholic Philly. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- "Pope John Paul II Brings the Vatican Online". dummies. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- "VA Zone File". Robert Baskerville's ccTLD analysis data. 2007-12-28. Archived from the original on 19 January 2008. Retrieved 2007-12-28.