|Predecessor||Famous Four Media|
|Headquarters||327 Main Street, |
GRS Domains succeeded Famous Four Media as the operator of the Domain Venture Partners (DVP) gTLD portfolio in 2018 after an investor revolt in DVP. The company has said that it will be seeking to curb domain abuse that had thus far characterized the domain.
GRS Domains operates the following sixteen gTLDs:
Around 350,000 domains were originally registered under .science in 2016, but registrations dropped off sharply in 2017 and fell to around 14,000 in late 2019 as early registrations expired and were not renewed. A study carried out in 2020 found that there had been little uptake of the .science domain by academics and researchers, the originally intended community. Of the domains registered at this point, 39% did not return a website, 35% were parked for reselling, and another 10% were simply used as redirects. Only 16% appeared to be in use, and only a third to a half of those were actually used for an academic purpose.
- Murphy, Kevin (9 August 2018). "I was wrong, Famous Four bosses WERE kicked out". DomainIncite. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Roorda, Siemen (3 September 2018). "FFM acquired by GRS, immediate price changes". Openprovider. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Murphy, Kevin (7 August 2018). "Famous Four is DEAD! New registry promises spam crackdown". DomainIncite. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Allemann, Andrew (9 January 2019). "A prediction: new TLD registrations will drop in 2019". Domain Name Wire. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Orduña-Malea, Enrique (10 February 2021). "Dot-science top level domain: Academic websites or dumpsites?". Scientometrics. arXiv:2102.05706. doi:10.1007/s11192-020-03832-8.