|Introduced||February 19, 2014|
June 2, 2014
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain (gTLD)|
|Documents||ICANN Registry Agreement|
.xyz is a top-level domain name. It was proposed in ICANN's New generic top-level domain (gTLD) Program, and became available to the general public on June 2, 2014. The domain name came about both because the three letters are the last in the Latin-script alphabet, and to refer to people from Generations X, Y, and Z. XYZ.com and CentralNic are the registries for the domain.
In November 2015, .xyz reached 1.5 million domain name registrations, possibly boosted in part by Google's decision to use abc.xyz for its corporate (Alphabet Inc.) website, one of the first major corporations to use the domain. However, domain name registry VeriSign and others have claimed that domain name registrar Network Solutions gave away possibly hundreds of thousands of these names by placing them into customer accounts on an opt-out basis.
On June 1, 2017, .XYZ launched the 1.111B class .xyz domains which are cheap domains priced at US$0.99 per year and renewed at the same price. They are 6-digit, 7-digit, 8-digit, and 9-digit numeric combinations between 000000.xyz – 999999999.xyz. Daniel Negari, CEO of .XYZ said that it is for bringing competition, choice, and innovation to the market.
- Ewing, Jack; Hardy, Quentin (August 11, 2015). "Alphabet? Google Might Get Some Letters". The New York Times (published August 12, 2015). Archived from the original on July 9, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- Roberts, Jeff John (August 13, 2015). "Squatters swoop on Google ".xyz" names in wake of Alphabet". Fortune. Archived from the original on July 14, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- Berkens, Michael (November 23, 2015). ".XYZ Tops 1.5 Million Domains As Domain Registrations Return To Normal". The Domains. Archived from the original on November 24, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- Allemann, Andrew (August 19, 2015). "Verisign presses Network Solutions for details on .XYZ registrations". Domain Name Wire. Archived from the original on November 25, 2015. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- Gibbs, Mark (August 4, 2015). "NetSol's new con; renewing unwanted .xyz domains". Network World. Archived from the original on November 25, 2015. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- "1.111 Billion .XYZ Domain Names" (Press release). Archived from the original on August 5, 2020. Retrieved October 5, 2019.