|Introduced||February 19, 2014
June 2, 2014
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain (gTLD)|
|Intended use||None (truly generic)|
|Documents||ICANN Registry Agreement|
.xyz is a top-level domain name. It was proposed in ICANN's New generic top-level domain (gTLD) Program, and became available to the general public on June 2, 2014. XYZ.COM and CentralNic are the registries for the domain.
According to .xyz Launch Policies Version 1.03, written in March 2014, on .xyz domains, it is forbidden to defame Justin Bieber, Oprah Winfrey, and Daniel Negari (CEO of XYZ). The three names disappeared from .xyz Domain Name Policies Version 2.0.
In November 2015, .xyz reached 1.5 million domain name registrations, possibly boosted in part by Google's decision to use abc.xyz for its corporate (Alphabet Inc.) website, one of the first major corporations to use the domain. However, domain name registry VeriSign and others have claimed that domain name registrar Network Solutions gave away possibly hundreds of thousands of these names by placing them into customer accounts on an opt-out basis.
As of January 2016, .xyz was the sixth most registered domain name on the Internet. As of June 2016, .xyz was the fourth most registered global top-level domain (gTLD) name on the Internet, after .com, .net, and .org.
- https://www.gandi.net/static/contracts/en/xyz/pdf/special_conditions_XYZ_1.0.pdf - page 1 - Section .XYZ.1. Trustee authority and Registry - Retrieved on 14 December 2016.
- https://ceo.xyz/about/ - Retrieved on 15 December 2016.
- .xyz (March 15, 2014). "LAUNCH POLICIES Version 1.03 (pages 22/23 - 10 Acceptable Use and Anti-Abuse Policy)". Archived from the original (PDF) on July 3, 2017.
- .xyz. "DOMAIN NAME POLICIES Version 2.0" (PDF). Retrieved July 3, 2017.
- Jack Ewing; Quentin Hardy (12 August 2015). "Alphabet? Google Might Get Some Letters". The New York Times.
- Roberts, Jeff John. "Squatters swoop on Google ".xyz" names in wake of Alphabet". Fortune. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Berkens, Michael. ".XYZ Tops 1.5 Million Domains As Domain Registrations Return To Normal". The Domains. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Allemann, Andrew. "Verisign presses Network Solutions for details on .XYZ registrations". Domain Name Wire. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Gibbs, Mark. "NetSol's new con; renewing unwanted .xyz domains". Network World. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- ".XYZ Blows Past .US which Had a 28 Year Head Start". TheDomains.com. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "Breaking: .XYZ Passes .Info With Over 5.5 Million Registrations; Now 4th Biggest gTLD In the World". TheDomains.com. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- David Stubbs (11 August 2015). "Google's hooli.xyz Easter egg proves Silicon Valley is tech's own Spinal Tap". the Guardian.
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|