|Introduced||February 19, 2014|
June 2, 2014
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain (gTLD)|
|Intended use||None (truly generic)|
|Documents||ICANN Registry Agreement|
.xyz is a top-level domain name. It was proposed in ICANN's New generic top-level domain (gTLD) Program, and became available to the general public on June 2, 2014. XYZ.com and CentralNic are the registries for the domain.
In November 2015, .xyz reached 1.5 million domain name registrations, possibly boosted in part by Google's decision to use abc.xyz for its corporate (Alphabet Inc.) website, one of the first major corporations to use the domain. However, domain name registry VeriSign and others have claimed that domain name registrar Network Solutions gave away possibly hundreds of thousands of these names by placing them into customer accounts on an opt-out basis.
As of January 2016, .xyz was the sixth most registered domain name on the Internet. As of June 2016, .xyz was the fourth most registered global top-level domain (gTLD) name on the Internet, after .com, .net, and .org.
On June 1, 2017, .XYZ launched the 1.111B class .xyz domains which are cheap domains priced at $0.99 per year and renewed at the same price. They are 6-digit, 7-digit, 8-digit, and 9-digit numeric combinations between 000000.xyz – 999999999.xyz. Daniel Negari, CEO of .XYZ said that it is for bringing competition, choice, and innovation to the market.
- Ewing, Jack; Hardy, Quentin (2015-08-11). "Alphabet? Google Might Get Some Letters". The New York Times (published 2015-08-12). Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Roberts, Jeff John (2015-08-13). "Squatters swoop on Google ".xyz" names in wake of Alphabet". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Berkens, Michael (2015-11-23). ".XYZ Tops 1.5 Million Domains As Domain Registrations Return To Normal". The Domains. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Allemann, Andrew (2015-08-19). "Verisign presses Network Solutions for details on .XYZ registrations". Domain Name Wire. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Gibbs, Mark (2015-08-04). "NetSol's new con; renewing unwanted .xyz domains". Network World. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- ".XYZ Blows Past .US which Had a 28 Year Head Start". TheDomains.com. 2016-01-10. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "Breaking: .XYZ Passes .Info With Over 5.5 Million Registrations; Now 4th Biggest gTLD In the World". TheDomains.com. 2016-06-03. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "1.111 Billion .XYZ Domain Names".
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|