|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with South Africa|
|Actual use||Popular in South Africa|
|Registration restrictions||None in .co.za; various restrictions in other subdomains|
|Structure||Registrations are only taken at third level beneath various second-level labels|
|Documents||Articles of Association of ZADNA|
|Dispute policies||Under development|
None of the official names for South Africa can be abbreviated to ZA, which is an abbreviation of the Dutch Zuid-Afrika. Dutch was considered an official language in the Union of South Africa until 1961; it subsequently lost its synonymous status with Afrikaans in 1983. Suid-Afrika is the standard spelling in Afrikaans; however, the .sa domain is used by Saudi Arabia. Zuid-Afrika has a history of usage: ZAR serves as the ISO 4217 currency code for the South African rand.
Even the international vehicle code for South Africa has been "ZA" since 1936.
2nd level domains
Open and active
- .ac.za - South African academic and tertiary societies
- .co.za - general use by South African and non-South African persons and entities
- .edu.za - South African further education training and private colleges
- .gov.za - South African government & its departments and entities
- .law.za - South African legal firms
- .mil.za - South African Department of Defense & its institutions
- .net.za - primarily for network & internet infrastructure providers
- .nom.za - personal names, not organizations
- .org.za - primarily for South African non-commercial entities.
- .school.za - for schools in South Africa
- .web.za - general use by South Africans & non-South Africans
- .alt.za - Historical registrants
- .ngo.za - for non-governmental organizations. New registrations pending .za DNA public consultation process
- .tm.za - for trademarks. On hold pending establishment of the .ZA DNA
- .agric.za - ARC & Company
- .grondar.za - Mark R V Murray
- .nis.za - Network Information Systems
ZADNA removed a number of domains from the .za zone on the 7 August 2009
- .bourse.za - for all companies which are listed on the JSE Securities Exchange
- .city.za - for municipal governments.
- .cybernet.za - Infront Investments Five cc
- .db.za - De Beers
- .iaccess.za - Compustat
- .imt.za - Institute for Maritime Technology
- .inca.za - Internetworking Cape
- .landesign.za - Lan Design (no longer exists)
- .olivetti.za - Olivetti/Mark Elkins
- .pix.za - Proxima Information Exchange
- ".za Domain Name Authority" (PDF).