|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||Zambia Information and Communications Technology Authority|
|Intended use||Entities connected with|
|Actual use||Gets some use in Zambia, although .com is more widely used.|
|Registration restrictions||Legal entities with a presence in Zambia.|
|Structure||Registrations are made at the third level beneath established sub-domains; registered ISPs can register at the second level, although there are some unexplained exceptions to this rule.|
- ac.zm: Academic institutions
- biz.zm: Businesses
- co.zm: Commercial entities
- com.zm: Commercial entities
- edu.zm: Academic institutions
- gov.zm: Government
- info.zm: "Information"
- mil.zm: Zambian military
- net.zm: Networks
- org.zm: Non-commercial organizations
- sch.zm: Schools
The designations above are assumed based on observed practices and standard conventions, as ZICTA (the ccTLD registry) do not maintain online documentation codifying this. Most entities will generally register either a .co.zm or .org.zm domain, if they choose to use the ccTLD rather than a generic top-level domain.
The one documented exception to the requirement to register at the third level is that "registered ISPs" may register at the second level—e.g., zamnet.zm. However, there are several undocumented variances to this rule—e.g., the Bank of Zambia's domain is boz.zm, and the regulator (ZICTA) operates under zicta.zm.
- "Bank of Zambia". Bank of Zambia. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- "Domain Name Registration Form" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "Hosting and domain rates § Domains". NinerNet Communications. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- "Public Notice: List of Licensed Electronic Communication Operators". Zambia Information & Communications Technology Authority. ZICTA. Retrieved 27 December 2020.