|Nasdaq: FLWS (Class A)|
Russell 2000 Component
|Headquarters||Jericho, New York, United States|
|James McCann (Chairman)|
Chris McCann (CEO)
|Products||Flowers, gift baskets, plants, food, collectibles|
|Subsidiaries||Harry & David|
1-800-Flowers.com, Inc. is a floral and foods gift retailer and distribution company in the United States. The company's focus, except for Mother's Day and Valentine's Day, is on gift baskets. They also use the name 1-800-Baskets.com. Their use of "coyly self-descriptive telephone numbers" is part of McCann's business model.
Founding and early years
The concept of using the word "flowers" within a phoneword was originated by William Alexander in the early 1980s. The phone number, 1-800-356-9377, had been randomly assigned to a trucking brokerage in Wisconsin owned by Curtis Jahn and was used for that company until 1981. In an agreement with Jahn that would later be sharply contested, Granville Semmes and David Snow formed a Louisiana corporation that began to use that number to sell flowers in Louisiana, starting in 1982. The use of the number would trigger a series of lawsuits. Their business struggled and that company was dissolved, with its assets going to investors James Poage and John Davis of Texas. The new corporation struggled financially as well. Its assets were acquired in 1986 by Jim McCann, an owner of several flower shops in the New York City area since 1976, under whom the business saw success and growth.
- March 2005, Cheryl's Cookies
- May 2006, Alpine Confections Inc. brands including Fannie May Confections, Fannie Farmer and Harry London Candies
- April 1, 2008, DesignPac Gifts LLC.
- July 21, 2008, Napco Marketing Corporation.
- August 1, 2011, Flowerama.
- August 5, 2019, Shari's Berries
- August 3, 2020, Personalization Mall
- October 28, 2021, Vital Choice
- January 14, 2022, Alice Table
- One Old Country Road, Carle Place NY 11514 - ended in 2021
- 2 Jericho Plaza, Jericho, NY 11753
- After a five-year search, 1-800-Flowers.com has found a new home in Jericho. The company has leased 96,867 square feet of office space at Two Jericho Plaza.
- Quenqua, Douglas (December 22, 2009). "Bringing Bouquets and Gift Baskets Together". The New York Times.
- Elliott, Stuart (September 24, 1993). "THE MEDIA BUSINESS: ADVERTISING -- ADDENDA; Teleway Shifts Accounts to McCann". The New York Times.
- Ketcham, Diane (September 13, 1992). "ABOUT LONG ISLAND; At the Other End of the 800 Toll-Free Line". The New York Times.
- CURTIS P. JAHN and CAPITOL WAREHOUSING CORPORATION, Plaintiffs, v. 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, INC., FRESH INTELLECTUAL PROPERTIES, INC. and 800-FLOWERS, INC. (District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin July 23, 2001).Text
- Smith, Richard D. (January 8, 1995). "From One Little Shop, an 800-Flowers Garden Grows". The New York Times. Archived from the original on September 22, 2021.
- "WHOIS page". Network Solutions. November 6, 2012. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Sweet success: Fannie May back after bankruptcy". Daily Herald. Associated Press. November 28, 2010. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- "1-800-Flowers.com, Martha Stewart Living in tie-up". Reuters. September 20, 2007. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "1800flowers Dupes You Into Signing Up For "LiveWell" For $11.99 Per Month". The Consumerist. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Company Profile for 1-800-FLOWERS.COM Inc (FLWS)". Zenobank. Retrieved October 17, 2008.
- 1-800 Flowers.com (FLWS) annual SEC income statement filing via Wikinvest
- 1-800 Flowers.com (FLWS) annual SEC balance sheet filing via Wikinvest
- Channick, Robert (March 17, 2017). "Italian maker of Nutella buys Fannie May". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- Goins, Tony (March 11, 2005). "1-800-Flowers to buy Cheryl & Co". Columbus Business First. Retrieved May 5, 2022.
- "1-800-Flowers.com buys DesignPac Gifts". Multichannelmerchant.com. June 1, 2008.
- "FORM 10-K". Securities & Exchange Commission. 2010.
- "FORM 10-K". Securities & Exchange Commission. 2013.
- Wassel, Bryan (August 5, 2019). "1-800-FLOWERS.COM Acquires Shari's Berries For $20.5 Million". Retailtouchpoints.com. Archived from the original on November 6, 2019.
- Blair, Adam (August 3, 2020). "1-800-FLOWERS Finalizes $245 Million Personalization Mall Acquisition". Retailtouchpoints.com. Archived from the original on September 28, 2020.
- Blank, Christine (October 28, 2021). "1-800-Flowers acquires Vital Choice". Seafoodsource.com. Archived from the original on January 24, 2022.
- "1-800-Flowers.com acquires Alice's Table lifestyle operation". Retailcustomerexperience.com. January 14, 2022. Archived from the original on January 14, 2022.