Akai videotape format
Akai X-500VT 1/4 inch VTR at DC Video
|Media type||Magnetic tape|
|Encoding||NTSC, PAL, SECAM|
|Read mechanism||Helical scan|
|Write mechanism||Helical scan|
The 1/4 inch Akai is a portable helical scan EIA and CCIR analog recording video tape recorder (VTR) with two video record heads on the scanning drum. The units were available with an optional RF modulator to play back through a TV set, as well as a detachable video monitor. The Akai Electric Ltd. VTR plant was in Tokyo, Japan.
Early B&W models
- Akai model VTS-100 was introduced in 1967 and was a B&W portable VTR with a one tube camera
- The next models, VTS-110 and VTS-120, had similar specifications:
- One 2/3" Vidicon video camera
Akai produced two types of black and white VTR using 1/4 inch tape: Portables using an open reel of 13 cm diameter (VT-100/-110/-120), and a single stationary model using a 27 cm open reel, designated VT-700. The model shown here, X500VT, was sold only in Japan and the United States, and in very low quantities.
- Akai model VTS-150 was introduced in 1974. It recorded composite video on 1/4 inch reel-to-reel videotape and could record and play back B&W or color. It came with a hand-held two-tube camera with a zoom lens. The system was very small and lightweight for its time. The VTR with the video camera weighed only 22 pounds. A single cable was used to connect the ENG camera to the VTR for power, video and the microphone audio. This model was available in NTSC, PAL and SECAM television formats.
- S/N > 40 dB
- Playback: about 230-lines of image resolution
- Capstan Tape speed (EIA NTSC): 254.27 mm/s (10 inches per second); (CCIR PAL or SECAM): 217.97 mm/s
- Recording time: 26 minutes (NTSC) or 30 minutes (PAL or SECAM) on a five-inch reel
- One audio track
- One control track
- Weight: 16.4 lb.
- Power consumption: 32 Watts
- Battery capacity: about 40 minutes
- Size 10.5" x 14.2" x 5.6"
- Camera NTSC, PAL and SECAM:
- S/N > 40 dB
- One 2/3" Vidicon
- One chroma Tube, an Akai dissector tube
- 1.5" VF - viewfinder
- Lens: 6x - (1.5 to 75 mm)
- 300 lines of resolution
- To use without the VTR, CCU-150 powered the camera with 12 VDC
- CCU-150 had RF output and Genlock sync input
- Weight: 5.76 lb.
- Size 3.5" x 9.3" x 13.2"
- Microphone audio impedance: 600 ohms
- Akai VK VTRs