1000s in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1001 in England)
|10th century | 1000s | 1010s | 1020s|
Events from the 1000s in England.
Monarch – Æthelred the Unready
- 8 January – Wulfsige III, Bishop of Sherborne, dies and is succeeded by Æthelric.
- £24,000 of Danegeld paid to the Vikings in return for them leaving England.
- King Æthelred the Unready marries (as his second wife) Emma, daughter of Richard I, Duke of Normandy, who receives her predecessor's Anglo-Saxon name, Ælfgifu.
- 13 November – St. Brice's Day massacre: Æthelred orders the deaths of leading Danes in England.
- £36,000 of Danegeld paid to the Vikings in return for them not raiding England for two years.
- 16 November – Ælfric of Abingdon, Archbishop of Canterbury