102 Not Out
|102 Not Out|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Umesh Shukla|
|Produced by||SPE Films India|
|Written by||Saumya Joshi|
|Narrated by||Vijay Raaz|
|Music by||George Joseph|
|Edited by||Bodhaditya Banerjee|
SPE Films India
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures (through Sony Pictures Releasing)|
|Box office||est. ₹100 crore|
102 Not Out is a 2018 Hindi-language Indian comedy-drama film directed by Umesh Shukla and starring Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor in the lead roles. The film is based on the eponymous Gujarati play written by Saumya Joshi. 102 Not Out was released on 4 May 2018.
Dattatraya Vakharia (Amitabh Bachchan) is a 102-year-old who enjoys life in jovial ways. Babulal Vakharia (Rishi Kapoor), his 76-year-old son, is the opposite, and believes that he is now too old to enjoy life, and detests how his father acts. Dhiru (Jimit Trivedi) is an employee at a medical shop who delivers medicine to the Vakharias. Dhiru likes Dattatraya for his attitude and is scared of Babulal because of his grumpy nature.
Dattatraya seeks to break the record of the oldest living person. and thus he seeks to avoid negative people. Therefore, he threatens to send his son to an elderly care facility unless he achieves certain conditions. While Babulal is hesitant, he accepts with Dhiru as a witness. Firstly, Babulal writes a love letter to his deceased wife. Next, he accuses his doctor of being a thief so that he stops going to the clinic daily for a checkup. While rejecting to cut holes in his childhood blanket, Babulal visits a playground and a church that remind him of childhood memories. He becomes sorrowed and distributes cake to young children in the streets with his father.
Babulal begins to appreciate his father's outlook on life. However, Babulal receives a call from his estranged son Amol informing Babulal that he will visit India. While Babulal is ecstatic hearing the news, Dattatraya is certain that Amol's motive is to claim their property as their heir. So he gives Babu his last task: to kick Amol out of the house for all his negligence towards his family. They argue and Babulal stops talking to Dattatraya. Even Dhiru, for the first time, supports Babulal and feels that Amol should be given a chance. Dattatraya reveals that Babu had spent all his savings to educate Amol and send him to the United States. However, Amol ignored them, telling nothing about his new family life in America. Dattatraya also tells his son he has cancer, living happily so that Babulal can live like him.
Days later, Amol arrives in India, where Babulal humiliates him in public, calling him to return home. After later celebrating with Dattatraya and Dhiru, Dattatraya passes away at 102 years of age. Babulal finds a recording of his father predicting that the record of the oldest man will be broken by Babulal himself.
- Amitabh Bachchan as Dattatraya Vakharia
- Rishi Kapoor as Babulal Vakharia, Dattatraya's son
- Jimit Trivedi as Dhiru
- Dharmendra Gohil as Amol Vakharia, Babulal's son
- Vijay Raaz as The Narrator
|102 Not Out|
|Soundtrack album by |
[[[Salim–Sulaiman]], Amitabh Bachchan and Rohan-Vinayak
|Released||30 April 2018|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music of the film has been composed by Salim–Sulaiman, Amitabh Bachchan and Rohan-Vinayak while the lyrics were written by Hiral Brahmbhatt, Saumya Joshi, Amitabh Bhattacharya and Kaifi Azmi. The songs featured in the film are sung by Arijit Singh, Armaan Malik, Sonu Nigam, Amitabh Bachchan, Rishi Kapoor and Hiral Brahmabhatt. George Joseph has composed the background music for this film. The first song of the film, Bachche Ki Jaan which is sung by Singh was released on 10 April 2018. The second song of the film, Badumbaaa which is sung by Bachchan and Kapoor was released on 18 April 2018. The music album was released on 30 April 2018 by Saregama Music. Vipin Nair of The Hindu gave the soundtrack 3.5/5 stating that Salim-Sulaiman delivered "their best work in a very long time".
|1.||"Bachche Ki Jaan"||Hiral Brahmbhatt||Salim–Sulaiman||Arijit Singh||4:49|
|2.||"Badumbaaa"||Amitabh Bhattacharya||Amitabh Bachchan||Amitabh Bachchan, Rishi Kapoor||5:46|
|3.||"Kulfi"||Saumya Joshi||Salim-Sulaiman||Sonu Nigam||4:21|
|4.||"Kuch Anokhe Rules"||Saumya Joshi||Salim-Sulaiman||Armaan Malik||3:33|
|5.||"Phir Laut Aayi Zindagi"||Hiral Brahmbhatt||Salim-Sulaiman||Hiral Brahmbhatt||4:23|
|6.||"Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam"||Kaifi Azmi||Rohan-Vinayak||Amitabh Bachchan||4:57|
The make-up for Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor is done by makeup and prosthetic artist Preetisheel Singh. Considering the fact that both the actors have to play their characters that are more than their actual age, a lot of prosthetics and makeup was used to make them look like their respective character's age. Bollywood Hungama echoes, “The review would be incomplete without the mention of Preetisheel Singh's makeup, hair and prosthetic. She gives a great look to both the veteran actors which also turns out to be the film's USP.”
In India, the film earned ₹52.05 crore nett and ₹66.72 crore gross. In China, the film grossed $4.5 million (₹29.22 crore) as of 9 December 2018, including $3.25 million (₹22.67 crore) during its opening weekend there. In other territories, the film grossed ₹19.33 crore ($3 million) as of 3 December 2018. Combined, the film grossed ₹115.3 crore ($18 million) worldwide as of 9 December 2018.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes 102 Not Out has an approval score of 67% on the basis of 9 reviews with an average rating of 6.3 out of 10. Rajeev Masand of News18 gave the film a rating of 3 out of 5 saying that, "Despite its many shortcomings 102 Not Out has its heart in the right place, and a pair of actors clearly enjoying themselves on screen. Their infectious energy alone makes this film worth a watch." Rachit Gupta of The Times of India gave the film a rating of 3.5 out of 5 saying that, "The unique and refreshing concept of ‘102 Not Out’ is its strength. It's just a happy and healthy entertainer that tells you that living in the moment and making the most of everyday of your life is all that matters." Shalini Langer of The Indian Express gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5 saying that, "No doubt it's great to see a film about two old people. But we have seen both Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor in that avatar in better films (Piku especially, and in Kapoor & Sons) before this." Rohit Vats of Hindustan Times gave the film a rating of 3 out of 5 and said that, "102 Not Out's heart is firmly in the right place. The film knows its territory and the emotions it wants to evoke. It's just that a few important characters don't get enough play and they are sacrificed to make space to Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor." Raja Sen of NDTV gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5 saying that, "Shukla's film is a sweet but dull enterprise, one that never quite rises above its ultimate ambition: that of having two legendary actors play off each other."
Rohit Bhatnagar of Deccan Chronicle gave the film a rating of 3.5 out of 5 saying that, "The Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor starrer film is a heart warming experience of celebrating life as it comes." Namrata Joshi of The Hindu reviewed the film saying that, "Umesh Shukla's film is unable to leave its inherent theatricality behind. It gets unchanging in terms of the give and take between the duo and leaves the viewers static too. It stirs nothing within, leaving you unmoved." Meena Iyer of DNA India gave the film a rating of 3.5 out of 5 saying that, "This is a small, sweet film with its heart in the right place." Anupama Chopra of Film Companion gave the film a rating of 3 out of 5 saying that, "102 Not Out is uneven but heartfelt. Despite the flaws, the emotions connect." Sonil Dedhia of Mid-Day gave the film a rating of 3 out of 5 saying that, "Bachchan and Kapoor's effortless performances, coupled with their intoxicating screen presence make this movie worth watching."
- "Amitabh Bachchan to play centenarian in 102 Not Out – NDTV Movies". 11 October 2013.
- "102 Not Out (2018) – Movie – Box Office India". Box Office India. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- "102 Not Out Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "102 Not Out enters Rs 100 cr club with box office collection of Rs 22.67 cr during opening weekend in China". Firstpost. 5 December 2018.
- "Paresh Rawal to play Amitabh Bachchan's son". Times of India.
- "Big B, Rishi Kapoor to reunite after 26 years with 102 Not Out". Deccan Chronicle. 19 May 2017. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Hungama, Bollywood (24 December 2013). "Amitabh Bachchan in 102 Not Out – Bollywood Hungama".
- Frater, Patrick (8 February 2018). "Amitabh Bachchan, Rishi Kapoor to Star in '102 Not Out' for Sony (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Hungama, Bollywood (24 December 2013). "Amitabh Bachchan in 102 Not Out – Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "102 Not Out (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". iTunes.
- Nair, Vipin (2 May 2018). "Score one for the Big B". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- "102 Not Out – Music Review | Music Aloud". www.musicaloud.com. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- "102 Not Out: THIS is how long it took for Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor to get prosthetic makeup done". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Features, Bollywood (14 May 2018). "Makeover whiz Preetisheel Singh receives rave reviews for 102 Not Out". Medium. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "102 Not Out Box Office Collection till Now". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- "102 Not Out". EntGroup. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "102 Not Out". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "102 Not Out Movie Review – Goldien oldies". Rajeev Masand.
- "102 Not Out Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "102 Not Out movie review: The Amitabh Bachchan starrer is happy making old age seem all sunshine". The Indian Express.
- "102 Not Out movie review: You will root for Amitabh Bachchan, Rishi Kapoor and their high spirits". Hindustan Times.
- "102 Not Out Movie Review: Amitabh Bachchan And Rishi Kapoor Can't Bring Alive A Dull Film". NDTV.
- "102 Not Out movie review: A joyride of two utterly amazing oldies". Deccan Chronicle.
- "'102 Not Out' review: Too cool for old school". The Hindu.
- "'102 Not Out' movie review: Amitabh Bachchan-Rishi Kapoor are delightful in Umesh Shukla's film". DNA India.
- "102 Not Out Movie Review – Anupama Chopra". Film Companion.
- "102 Not Out Movie Review: Never too old for a joyride". Mid-Day.