From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1042.
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1010s 1020s 1030s – 1040s – 1050s 1060s 1070s|
|Years:||1039 1040 1041 – 1042 – 1043 1044 1045|
|1042 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1795|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||辛巳年 (Metal Snake)
3738 or 3678
— to —
壬午年 (Water Horse)
3739 or 3679
|- Vikram Samvat||1098–1099|
|- Shaka Samvat||964–965|
|- Kali Yuga||4143–4144|
|Japanese calendar||Chōkyū 3
|Minguo calendar||870 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1353/1354 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1584–1585|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1042.|
- April 18 or April 19 – Emperor Michael V of the Byzantine Empire attempts to remain sole Emperor by sending his adoptive mother and co-ruler Zoe of Byzantium to a monastery.
- April 19 – Michael V of the Byzantine Empire is deposed by popular revolt. Zoe, Empress of the Byzantine Empire with co-rulers since 1028, becomes reigning Empress with her sister Theodora.
- June 8 – Edward the Confessor becomes King of England.
- June 11 – Empress Zoe marries for the third time and elevates her husband to the throne as Constantine IX.
- George Maniaces, Byzantine general in Sicily, revolts against Constantine IX.
- Harald III of Norway, at this time leader of the Varangian Guard in the Byzantine Empire, returns to Norway, possibly because of his involvement in Maniaces' revolt.
- Magnus I of Norway becomes King of Denmark.
- The Normans in Italy move their capital to Melfi.
- Abad II succeeds his father to the throne of Sevilla.
- Incursions by the Western Xia and the threat of further Liao Dynasty military actions against the Song Dynasty force an increase in tribute payments to the Liao.
- The Almoravids, led by Abdullah Ibn Yasin, invade Morocco.
- Byzantine-Arab Wars: The Byzantines conquer Edessa, returning to Christian hands after 400 years of Islamic rule.
- Pope Urban II (d. 1099)
- June 8 – Harthacanute, King of Denmark and England
- August 24 – Michael V, Byzantine Emperor (b. 1015)