|This article does not cite any sources. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|1056 in topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Political entities - State leaders - Religious leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1809|
|Balinese saka calendar||977–978|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)
3752 or 3692
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
3753 or 3693
|- Vikram Samvat||1112–1113|
|- Shaka Samvat||977–978|
|- Kali Yuga||4156–4157|
|Japanese calendar||Tengi 4
|Minguo calendar||856 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1367/1368 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1598–1599|
1182 or 801 or 29
— to —
1183 or 802 or 30
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1056.|
- Anselm leaves Italy.
- Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor, becomes King of Germany.
- Ottokar, Count of Steyr, becomes Margrave of the Karantanian March, later known as Styria.
- The Pagoda of Fugong Temple of Shanxi in northern China is built during the Liao Dynasty. Work begins on the Pizhi Pagoda of Lingyan Temple, Shandong, China, under the opposing Song Dynasty.
- The Muslims expel 300 Christians from Jerusalem, and European Christians are forbidden to enter the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
- The Macedonian Dynasty ends in the Byzantine Empire.
- Baldwin II, Count of Hainaut (d. 1098)
- Hildegarde of Burgundy, Duchess consort of Gascony and Aquitaine (d. 1104) (approximate date)
- August 31 – Theodora, Empress of the Eastern Roman Empire (b. 981)
- October 5 – Henry III, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1017)
- Abu L'Ala al-Ma'arri, Syrian poet