1060s in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1064 in England)
|1040s | 1050s | 1060s | 1070s | 1080s|
Events from the 1060s in England
- 5 January – King Edward the Confessor dies.
- 6 January
- c. January – Harold marries Ealdgyth, daughter of Earl Ælfgar, and widow of Welsh ruler Gruffydd ap Llywelyn.
- May – Tostig Godwinson attempts to invade England, landing on the Isle of Wight and in Kent, but is forced to return to Scotland.
- 20 September – Battle of Fulford: Harald III of Norway, accompanied by Tostig Godwinson, invades England and defeats the English forces led by Morcar of Northumbria and Edwin, Earl of Mercia, in Yorkshire.
- 25 September – Battle of Stamford Bridge: King Harold II of England defeats and kills both Harald III of Norway and Tostig.
- 28 September – William, Duke of Normandy ("William the Conqueror") lands an invasion force near Pevensey. King Harold marches south to meet him.
- 14 October
- Late October or early December – Stigand, Archbishop of Canterbury, submits to William at Wallingford.
- 25 December – coronation of William I of England in Westminster Abbey.
- 28 January – Northumbrians kill the new Norman earl of Northumbria, Robert de Comines, at Durham and attack York.
- King Sweyn II of Denmark lands a fleet in the Humber in support of the rebels, and burns York, destroying the old Minster.
- At Stafford, William swiftly defeats a rebellion led by Edwin of Mercia.
- Winter of 1069–1070 – Harrying of the North: William quells rebellions in the North of England.
- 5 January – King Edward the Confessor (born c. 1004)
- 25 September – Tostig Godwinson, Earl of Northumbria (born c. 1026)
- 14 October (at the Battle of Hastings)
- Possible date – Lady Godiva (Godgifu), noblewoman, landowner and benefactress (born by c. 1010)
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 52–53. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 111–112. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- "Westminster Abbey website". Archived from the original on 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- Huscroft, Richard (2005). Ruling England 1042–1217. London: Pearson Longman. pp. 18–19. ISBN 0-582-84882-2.
- Bates, David (2001). William the Conqueror. Stroud: Tempus. p. 94. ISBN 0-7524-1980-3.
- "British History Timeline, Norman Britain, BBC". Retrieved 2007-12-23.