106th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery
|106 (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery|
|Part of||Joint Ground Based Air Defence Headquarters|
|Garrison/HQ||Napier House, Grove Park, London|
The 106 (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery is part of the Army Reserve and have sub-units throughout the South of England. The Regiments role is Close Air Defence and is part of the Joint Ground Based Air Defence (Jt GBAD) formation and uses the Starstreak missile. Two Batteries will be armoured and will operate in support of maneuver forces whilst one Battery will be equipped with the lightweight LML version. The Regiment is paired with 12 Regiment Royal Artillery for training, exercise and operations.
The regiment was formed in 1999 as 106 (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers). Its units were 202 (Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Battery at Bury St Edmunds (transferred from 100th (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery), 265 (Home Counties) Battery at Grove Park in London (also transferred from 100 (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery), 269 (West Riding) Battery at Leeds and 457 (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battery at Southampton. 202 Battery and 269 Battery left the regiment in 2006.
Under Army 2020, this regiment has three batteries of missiles. 210 (Staffordshire) Battery Royal Artillery subordinated to 103 (Lancashire Artillery Volunteers) Regiment Royal Artillery and re-roled as a light gun regiment. A new battery, 295 (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battery Royal Artillery, was formed in Portsmouth. 106 (Yeomanry) Regiment RA paired with 12 Regiment RA and came under the Joint Ground-Based Air Defence Command.
The batteries are as follows:
- 265 (Home Counties) Battery based at Grove Park in London and equipped with Lightweight Multiple Launcher High Velocity Missile. It re-roled to the Lightweight Multiple Launcher High Velocity Missile from Rapier (missile) under Army 2020.
- 457 (Hampshire Carabiniers Yeomanry) Battery based in Southampton and equipped with Starstreak. The missiles are carried on the Stormer vehicle under Army 2020.
- 295 (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battery based in Portsmouth and equipped with Starstreak mounted on Stormer vehicles.
- "Royal Regiment of Artillery, Volunteer Regiments". Archived from the original on 15 March 2004. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "101 Regiment Royal Artillery". Archived from the original on 2007-12-18.
- "Summary of Army Reserve Structure and Basing Changes" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 August 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2014.