From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1097. For the number, see 1097 (number).
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1060s 1070s 1080s – 1090s – 1100s 1110s 1120s|
|Years:||1094 1095 1096 – 1097 – 1098 1099 1100|
|1097 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1850|
|English Regnal year||10 Will. 2 – 11 Will. 2|
|Chinese calendar||丙子年 (Fire Rat)
3793 or 3733
— to —
丁丑年 (Fire Ox)
3794 or 3734
|- Vikram Samvat||1153–1154|
|- Shaka Samvat||1019–1020|
|- Kali Yuga||4198–4199|
|Japanese calendar||Eichō 2 / Jōtoku 1
|Minguo calendar||815 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1408/1409 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1639–1640|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1097.|
- Edgar deposes Donald III and Edmund to become king of Scotland.
- The First Crusade proceeds towards Palestine:
- June 3 – the Norman crusaders join the rest of the army during the siege of Nicaea.
- June 19 – the city of Nicaea falls to the Crusaders after a month siege.
- July 1 – Crusaders win the Battle of Dorylaeum and capture Latakia from the Seljuk Turks.
- October 21 – the siege of Antioch by the crusaders begins..
- December 31 – at the battle of Harenc, the crusaders defeat the troops from Aleppo trying to come to the relief of besieged Antioch.
- Croatian King Petar Svačić dies as the last Croatian king in the Battle of Gvozd Mountain against the army of the King Coloman of Hungary
- New Almoravid campaign in al-Andalus.
- January/February – Odo of Bayeux
- June 6 – Agnes of Aquitaine, Queen of Aragon and Navarre
- date unknown
- Abels, Richard Philip; Bernard S. Bachrach (2001). The Normans and their adversaries at war. Woodbridge: Boydell & Brewer. p. 92. ISBN 0-85115-847-1.
- Rickard, J. "Antioch, crusader siege of, 21 October 1097-3 June 1098". Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Rickard, J. "Battle of Harenc, 9 February 1098". Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Picard C. (1997) La mer et les musulmans d'Occident au Moyen Age. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France.