10 Items or Less (film)
|10 Items or Less|
|Directed by||Brad Silberling|
|Produced by||Julie Lynn|
|Written by||Brad Silberling|
|Music by||Antônio Pinto|
|Cinematography||Phedon Papamichael Jr.|
|Edited by||Michael Kahn|
10 Items or Less is a 2006 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Brad Silberling and starring Morgan Freeman and Paz Vega. Shot in fifteen days, 10 Items or Less made its release as a digital download – the first such release via the Internet – while it was still in theaters.
ClickStar, founded by Morgan Freeman and Lori McCreary, made the film available digitally on December 15, 2006, fourteen days after it made its theatrical debut. This event was highlighted by the American Film Institute in their AFI Awards 2006 "Moments of Significance".
This section needs an improved plot summary. (May 2018)
Through circumstance, two strangers, an actor (Freeman) preparing for an upcoming role and a cashier (Vega), drive around Los Angeles together, having a number of conversations about life and exploring the differences and similarities between their worlds.
- Morgan Freeman as Himself
- Paz Vega as Scarlet
- Kumar Pallana as Lee
- Jonah Hill as Packy
- Anne Dudek as Lorraine
- Bobby Cannavale as Bobby
- Alexandra Berardi as Mop Lady
- Jim Parsons as Receptionist at Construction Company
- Danny DeVito as Big D
- Rhea Perlman as Mrs. Big D
The film was released in only fifteen theaters, taking in $35,929 in its first weekend. The total domestic box-office take was $83,291. The film was more successful internationally, grossing $1,315,931 in the foreign box office, with $486,895 grossed in Vega's home country of Spain.
According to Jonathan Rosenbaum of the Chicago Reader, the film is "A friendly demonstration of how two actors with charisma and a relaxed writer-director (Brad Silberling) can make a nice movie for practically nothing." In contrast, Desson Thomson, of The Washington Post, believes that the film is "a natural but failed experiment about a pleasant encounter in the style of independent films".
Honors and awards
Although a soundtrack was not officially released, the following songs were included in the film:
- "Rose" – Martin Blasick
- "Latin Thugs" – Cypress Hill
- "Las Isabeles" – Mariachi Sol de Mexico
- "Cancion Villista" – Ixya Herrera & Xocoyotzin Herrera
- "Colorin Colorao" – Jesus Alejandro "El Niño"
- "Las Perlitas" – Mariachi Aguila Real
- "Con Tu Amor Y Pasion" – Sergio Cardenas
- "I've Got The World On A String" – Martin Blasick
- "La Receta" – Kemo the Blaxican (song at car wash)
- "It's Me Jody" – Herbert Stothart
- "En Este Varrio" – Delinquent Habits featuring Ozomatli
- "Al Pasar la Barca" – Paz Vega and Morgan Freeman
- "Duncan" – Paul Simon
- "Let The Horn Blow" – Delinquent Habits
- "10 Items or Less (2006) - Box Office Mojo". boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- "Morgan Freeman to release new film online two weeks after theater opening". The Mercury News. 2006-11-30. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "AFI Awards 2006". Archived from the original on 17 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-04.
- "Review: 10 ITEMS OR LESS". Celebritywonder.com. Archived from the original on 30 August 2008. Retrieved 21 July 2008.
- "10 Items or Less". IMDb. 2006. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- Koehler, Robert (2006-09-11). "10 Items or Less". Variety. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- "10 Items or Less (2006) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo". boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- Dame 10 razones (2006) (in Spanish), retrieved 2017-12-23
- "10 Items or Less". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- "National Board of Review 2006 Awards". Archived from the original on 8 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-04.
- "10 Items or Less: DVD". Amazon. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- "10 Items or Less (2006) – Soundtracks". Retrieved 2008-08-19.