This article relies excessively on references to primary sources. (January 2023)
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||330.468 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
11-Hydroxy-Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (11-OH-Δ8-THC, alternatively numbered as 7-OH-Δ6-THC), or often erroneously delta-11[a] is an active metabolite of Δ8-THC, a psychoactive cannabinoid found in small amounts in cannabis. It is an isomer of 11-OH-Δ9-THC, and is produced via the same metabolic pathway. It was the first cannabinoid metabolite discovered in 1970.
It retains psychoactive effects in animal studies with higher potency than Δ8-THC but lower potency than 11-OH-Δ9-THC. With widespread legal use of semi-synthetic Δ8-THC in jurisdictions where Δ9-THC remains illegal, 11-OH-Δ8-THC is now an important metabolite for distinguishing between use of legal Δ8-THC and illegal Δ9-THC.
- ^ 11-hydroxy-Δ8-THC's "delta" is dependent on the cannabinoid metabolized (see 11-hydroxy-Δ9-THC.) This term has mostly spread with help from online stores selling alternative cannabinoids
- ^ Ali, Naheed (10 January 2022). "What Is Delta 11 THC?". Secret Nature CBD. Retrieved 6 March 2023.
- ^ Mechoulam, R; Hanusˇ, L (November 2000). "A historical overview of chemical research on cannabinoids". Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. 108 (1–2): 1–13. doi:10.1016/s0009-3084(00)00184-5. PMID 11106779.
- ^ Watanabe K, Yamamoto I, Oguri K, Yoshimura H (December 1980). "Identification and determination of 11-oxo-delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol as an intermediate metabolite of delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol in the mouse brain and liver". Journal of Pharmacobio-Dynamics. 3 (12): 686–91. doi:10.1248/bpb1978.3.686. PMID 6268770.
- ^ Watanabe K, Yamamoto I, Oguri K, Yoshimura H (1981). "Metabolic disposition of delta 8-tetrahydrocannabinol and its active metabolites, 11-hydroxy-delta 8-tetrahydrocannabinol and 11-oxo-delta 8-tetrahydrocannabinol, in mice". Drug Metabolism and Disposition. 9 (3): 261–4. PMID 6113937.
- ^ Järbe TU, Mathis DA (1991). "Discriminative stimulus functions of cannabinoids/cannabimimetics". Drug Discrimination: Applications to Drug Abuse Research. NIDA Research Monograph. pp. 75–99. PMID 1369683.
- ^ Yamamoto I, Kimura T, Kamei A, Yoshida H, Watanabe K, Ho IK, Yoshimura H (April 1998). "Competitive inhibition of delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol and its active metabolites for cannabinoid receptor binding". Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 21 (4): 408–10. doi:10.1248/bpb.21.408. PMID 9586583.
- ^ Chan-Hosokawa A, Nguyen L, Lattanzio N, Adams WR (March 2021). "Emergence of Delta-8 Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in DUID Investigation Casework: Method Development, Validation and Application". Journal of Analytical Toxicology. 46 (1): 1–9. doi:10.1093/jat/bkab029. PMID 33754645.