|CompTox Dashboard (EPA)|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||330.468 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|(what is this?)|
11-Hydroxy-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (11-OH-Δ9-THC, alternatively numbered as 7-OH-Δ1-THC), usually referred to as 11-hydroxy-THC, is the main active metabolite of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is formed in the body after THC is consumed.
After Cannabis consumption, THC is metabolized inside the body by cytochrome P450 enzymes such as CYP2C9 and CYP3A4 into 11-hydroxy-THC and then further metabolized by the dehydrogenase and CYP2C9 enzyme to form 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC (THC-COOH) which is inactive at the CB1 receptors; and further glucuronidated to form 11-nor-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid glucuronide (delta-9-THC-COOH-glu) where it is excreted in both feces and urine. Both compounds, along with THC, can be assayed in drug tests.
11-hydroxy-THC can be formed after consumption of THC from inhalation (vaping, smoking) and oral (by mouth, edible, sublingual) use, although levels of 11-hydroxy-THC are typically higher when eaten compared to inhalation.
- Cannabis edible
- Kraemer T, Paul LD (August 2007). "Bioanalytical procedures for determination of drugs of abuse in blood". Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 388 (7): 1415–1435. doi:10.1007/s00216-007-1271-6. PMID 17468860. S2CID 32917584.
- Huestis MA (2005). "Pharmacokinetics and metabolism of the plant cannabinoids, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol and cannabinol". Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology. 168 (168): 657–690. doi:10.1007/3-540-26573-2_23. ISBN 3-540-22565-X. PMID 16596792.
- Stout SM, Cimino NM (February 2014). "Exogenous cannabinoids as substrates, inhibitors, and inducers of human drug metabolizing enzymes: a systematic review". Drug Metabolism Reviews. 46 (1): 86–95. doi:10.3109/03602532.2013.849268. PMID 24160757.
- Grotenhermen F (2003). "Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids". Clinical Pharmacokinetics. 42 (4): 327–360. doi:10.2165/00003088-200342040-00003. PMID 12648025.
- Huestis MA, Henningfield JE, Cone EJ (1992). "Blood cannabinoids. I. Absorption of THC and formation of 11-OH-THC and THCCOOH during and after smoking marijuana". Journal of Analytical Toxicology. 16 (5): 276–282. doi:10.1093/jat/16.5.276. PMID 1338215.
- Karschner EL, Schwilke EW, Lowe RH, Darwin WD, Herning RI, Cadet JL, Huestis MA (October 2009). "Implications of plasma Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, 11-hydroxy-THC, and 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC concentrations in chronic cannabis smokers". Journal of Analytical Toxicology. 33 (8): 469–477. doi:10.1093/jat/33.8.469. PMC 3159863. PMID 19874654.
- Lemberger L, Martz R, Rodda B, Forney R, Rowe H (October 1973). "Comparative pharmacology of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and its metabolite, 11-OH-Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol". The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 52 (10): 2411–2417. doi:10.1172/JCI107431. PMC 302499. PMID 4729039.