||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Partners||David Piscuskas, Juergen Riehm|
|Location||New York City, United States and Frankfurt, Germany|
1100 Architect is an architecture firm based in New York City and Frankfurt founded by principals David Piscuskas and Juergen Riehm. It provides architectural design, programming, space analysis, interior design, and master planning services to both public and private clients, and its work includes educational and arts institutions, libraries, offices, residences, retail environments, and civic facilities.
The company was founded in 1983 in SoHo, Manhattan as a design studio of three architecture school graduates. Its design philosophy focuses on sustainability, stating that, "[1100 Architect] views good design and environmental sustainability as interconnected elements of a thoughtful, responsible project." As of 2015, the firm has 44 employees.
The company's designs include institutional, residential, and commercial buildings. Award-winning projects include the design for The Children's Library Discovery Center in New York City, Calvert Vaux Park Facility in Brooklyn, NY, and a residential house in Palm Beach, Florida.
Other projects include
- In Manhattan, New York City:
- Elsewhere in New York:
1100 received the 2014 ALA/IIDA Library Design Awards for Best of Competition Winner and Best Public Library 30,000 Sq. Ft & Smaller and the 2013 NYLA-PLA Award for the Queens Central Library Children's Library Discovery Center in Queens, New York.
In 2013, the company's design for a house in Palm Beach, Florida received the Elizabeth L. and John H. Schuler Award which annually recognizes design "in keeping with the traditional character of Palm Beach architecture."
- 2015 - SARA Silver Award of Honor, Queens Central Library, Children's Library Discovery Center, Queens, NY
- 2015 - NYC PDC Award for Excellence in Design, NYC Parks Department, Calvert Vaux Park Facility, Brooklyn, NY
- 2014 - ALA/IIDA Library Interior Design Awards for Best of Competition Winner, Queens Central Library, Children's Library Discovery Center, Queens, NY
- 2014 - ALA/IIDA Library Interior Design Awards for Best Public Library 30,000 Sq. Ft & Smaller, Queens Central Library, Children's Library Discovery Center, Queens, NY
- 2014 - Residential Architect Design Award - Architectural Interiors, Manhattan Triplex, Manhattan, NY
- 2013 - Interior Design, Best of Year Honoree, Brand New School Office, Los Angeles, CA
- 2012 - Contract, Public Space Interiors Award, The New York Public Library, Battery Park City Branch, NY
- 2012 - AIA New York Design Awards, Interiors Merit Award, Manhattan Triplex, Manhattan, NY
- 2012 - AIA New York Design Awards, Merit Award Unbuilt Work Category, Brooklyn Detention Center, Brooklyn, NY
- 2012 - The Municipal Art Society of New York, MASterworks Award: Best Neighborhood Catalyst, Queens Central Library, Children's Library Discovery Center, Queens, NY
- 2011 - The National Terrazzo and Mosaic Association, Port Morris Tile and Marble Corporation Craftsmanship Award, The New York Public Library, Battery Park City Branch, NY
- 2011 - Queens Chamber of Commerce, Building Award: New Construction/Public Building, and Queens Library Foundation, Award for Excellence in Design, Queens Central Library, Children’s Library Discovery Center, Queens, NY
- 2010 - Interior Design, Best of Year Merit Award, New York University Department of Linguistics Building, Manhattan, NY
- 2010 - Interior Design, Best of Year Merit Award, the New York Public Library, Battery Park City Branch, NY
- 2015 & 2014 - 1100 selected as a member of Departures Magazine Design Council 
- 2014 – 1100 is selected as one of "Top 50 Designers" by New York Spaces
- 2013 – 1100 is selected for the 2014 AD100 List
- 2013 – 1100 is recognized as ARCHITECT magazine's "Top 50 in Business"
- 2012 – 1100 is selected as one of "Top 50 Designers" by New York Spaces
- James Gardner, "The Neo-Modernist Default," The New York Sun, October 3, 2006. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "1100 Architect". Architecture Firm Directory. AIA New York Chapter. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- David W. Dunlap, Queens Central Library Opens Wider, The New York Times, March 18, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- NYC Design, Thirty-third Annual Awards for Excellence in Design
- Darrell Hofheinz, "Schuler Award celebrates the contemporary architecture of Kelly Klein’s vacation house on Ibis Isle," Palm Beach Daily News, April 7, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Josephine Minutillo, "" Architectural Record
- Bridgette Meinhold, "1100 Architect Renovate NYU’s Dept. of Linguistics Into a Vibrant Naturally Lit Space," Inhabitat, October 4, 2011. Retrieved 2014-01-28
- Katherine Lindstedt, "Battery Park City Library," The Architect’s Newspaper, July 16, 2010. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Cynthia Davidson, "Irish Hunger Memorial," Architectural Record, July 2003.
- Clifford A. Pearson, "Trends in Schools K-12: Little Red School House." Architectural Record, February 2001.
- Maria Ricapito, "Castle Above the River," New York Cottages and Gardens, October 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-28
- Sara Dierck, "City Modern Home Tours: Brooklyn," dwell, October 12, 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Jen Renzi, "Glowing Review," Interior Design, September 1, 2001. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Jeffrey Hogrefe, "MoMA, Acme of Modern Taste, Commissions a New Boutique," The New York Observer, August 2, 1999. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Uwe Bresan, "Brand New School in Los Angeles," AIT, October 2013.
- Carol Berens, "HM/FM House: Revisiting the Roots of Modernism," Echoes Magazine, September 2001.
- "Gelungene Ensembleergӓnzung," CUBE, July, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "ALA/IIDA Library Interior Design Award | Library Leadership & Management Association (LLAMA)". Ala.org. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach, April 4, 2009.
- Calamaio, Cody (2014-04-25). "Winners of 2014 ALA/IIDA Library Interior Design Awards Announced - Contract". Contractdesign.com. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- "Manhattan Triplex, New York," April 15, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-12.
- "2015 Design Council". Departures. 2015-04-28. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- "The 2014 AD 100," Architectural Digest, January 2014.
- Elizabeth Evitts Dickinson, "Top 50 in Business," Architecture Magazine, September 13, 2013.
- "Top 50 NY Metro Designers 2012," New York Spaces, September 2012.