From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1101. For Shigesato Itoi's website, 1101.com, see Shigesato Itoi.
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1070s 1080s 1090s – 1100s – 1110s 1120s 1130s|
|Years:||1098 1099 1100 – 1101 – 1102 1103 1104|
|1101 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1101 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||1854|
|English Regnal year||1 Hen. 1 – 2 Hen. 1|
|Chinese calendar||庚辰年 (Metal Dragon)
3797 or 3737
— to —
辛巳年 (Metal Snake)
3798 or 3738
|- Vikram Samvat||1157–1158|
|- Shaka Samvat||1023–1024|
|- Kali Yuga||4202–4203|
|Japanese calendar||Kōwa 3
|Minguo calendar||811 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1412/1413 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1643–1644|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1101.|
- April – King Baldwin I of Jerusalem captures Arsuf and Caesarea (in May).
- Crusade of 1101: Second wave of European crusaders attempt to cross Anatolia to reach the Kingdom of Jerusalem. They are heavily defeated by the Seljuq troops of Kilij Arslan I at Heraclea Cybistra and just a handful of knights manage to reach Palestine.
- June 20 – Robert Curthose, duke of Normandy, lands at Portsmouth to try to take the throne of England from his brother, Henry. Later that year (July), he signs the Treaty of Alton, giving up his claim to the Anglo-Norman throne and establishing Henry I as King of England.
- June 22 – At birth, Roger II becomes count of Sicily and duke of Calabria. His mother becomes regent.
- August – The troops of the Almoravid ruler, Yusuf ibn Tashfin, besiege Valencia, which is defended by Jimena Díaz, widow of El Cid. The city holds until May 1102.
- Fall – Countess Mathilda takes Ferrara.
- November – At the death of his father, Welf I, Duke of Bavaria, Welf II, Duke of Bavaria becomes duke of Bavaria.
- The County of Berg, Germany is established.
- April 19 – Canute II of Denmark is canonized.
- At the death of antipope Theodoric, the partisan of the Holy Roman Emperor choose Albert as the new antipope.
- Establishment of the Fontevraud Abbey.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2014)|
- June 22 – Count Roger I of Sicily (b. 1031)
- July 27
- October 6 – Bruno of Cologne, German founder of the Carthusian order
- October 18 – Hugh of Vermandois, son of Henry I of France (b. 1053).
- November 6 – Welf I, Duke of Bavaria, duke of Bavaria.
- date unknown