From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1101.
Year 1101 (MCI) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. It was the 2nd year of the 1100s decade, and the 1st year of the 12th century.
- June 20 – Robert Curthose, duke of Normandy, lands at Portsmouth, to try to take the throne of England from his brother, Henry. In July that year, he signs the Treaty of Alton, giving up his claim to the Anglo-Norman throne, and establishing Henry I as King of England.
- June 22 – At birth, Roger II becomes count of Sicily and duke of Calabria. His mother becomes regent.
- August – The troops of the Almoravid ruler, Yusuf ibn Tashfin, besiege Valencia, which is defended by Jimena Díaz, widow of El Cid. The city holds until May 1102.
- Fall – Countess Mathilda takes Ferrara.
- November – At the death of his father, Welf I, Duke of Bavaria, Welf II, Duke of Bavaria becomes duke of Bavaria.
- The County of Berg, Germany is established.